Striping roller height for Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WLLD, Jul 10, 2003.

1. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

For those of you running striping rollers on your Z - Do you run the rollers so they are on the ground when cutting? Or are they slightly off the ground to prevent the deck from bouncing as it rolls over the terrain? I am in the process of building one and am trying to determine how much range of motion I need to have to cover different cutting heights. I was thinking the roller should be about 1/2" off the ground. Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Shayne

2. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Yes you do want to have the roller clear the ground about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch off the ground. I designed the EZ Striper.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have my EZ-Striper set at 1.5" off the ground when I'm cutting at my 3.5" cut height. This produces a real nice stripe, and still allows a 2.75" cut height for my 6 acre weed lawn. At that setting its 3/4" off the ground, and although it stripes VERY well at that LOW cut height, you can really feel some bumps.

While the EZ-Striper stripes Very well, its the other benefits of using it that keep me so darn happy.

4. WLLD

WLLD LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I am going to try to put a spring to tension the roller and allow a little give. Only problem is that there is not much room under the Hustler. I am not familiar with the EZ Striper - does it mount in the holes where the anti-scalp wheels originally mount so that it is rigid? If you can really feel the bumps - Does it effect the cut quanlty because the deck is bouncing?

Thanks,
    Shayne

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it does...Take off the rear anti scalp wheels and bolt the easy striper right on.

It is ridgid once bolted on, and the deal with the deck bouncing is not a problem. It is just a longer anti scalp wheel that just happens to leave an awsome stripe.

The easy striper probably wont bolt on to your hustler, but for $25 you can get a conveyor roller from mc master and make your own...

6. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

If your bolt pattern is the same as eXmarks which are 1/2" apart the EZ Striper will work. You might have to call York sheet Metal to make the roller longer or shorter depending on the length between the brackets.