Striping roller warranty?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Phishook, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a bearing go out on the roller. Is that covered at 35 hrs?

Will any dealer work,or will it have to be replaced where I bought it?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Phish,

The warranty on all accessories is 90 days.

Here's what I'd like you to do. I'd like you to go back to the dealer you purchased the roller from. I'd also like you to let me know who that was so I can get the bearing returned.

Also did you install the roller or did the dealer install it. We've damaged a couple of bearings here due to improper installation of the roller.

Send me an e-mail to terry.eckert@exmark.com with the above information and I'll see what we can do.

Thanks

Terry

3. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I've also noticed that those rollers get banged on quite a bit when cutting, and you hit an uneven part of the lawn.

Also makes everything feel much stiffer and has to do a number on the bearings. Do these bearing have long term life to them are should they be replaced once/year, etc?

Also, as a proposal, I would think that if you could somehow convert it or modify it on future decks, to float with the lawn terrain, that would produce nice results. Perhaps keep the orig. guide wheels somewhere in there, but just float the roller on a pivot of some kind to follow the land curvature. Just a thought.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've already developed such a roller and field tested it to a great extent. Two seasons of testing and minor changes to be exact. I am to a point now where I feel I have "perfected" the ultimate striping roller.

This roller does a great job, requires no on-the-fly adjustments, shares none of the negative effects of other types of striping rollers or kits, plus it's durable and trouble free. Mount it and forget it pretty much.

I started developing my own because I felt no MFG was offering the ultimate package with no negative effects from design. Just to pick on eXmark, since I'm in their forum, it's easy to pick out a couple of flaws in the eXmark design.

The one flaw I think eXmark should be most concerned with is the hazard that comes with a fixed mount roller. When field testing fixed mounts I found that I got no effect from the roller at higher settings and a little with it set lower. Basically what I'm saying is, set lower than the gage wheels would be, and the closer to the ground, the better the effect.

This is where the troubles and hazards began to rear their ugly heads. Again, most important is the hazard.... when the roller makes contact over uneven ground, it relieves deck weight, which is necessary for the traction and control needed to remain safe. In the end I found that sudden, unexpected loss of control occured much too often.

I believe my design could be easily adapted to the Lazer Z and probably all products if eXmark is interested.

5. eXmark

Envy,

Thanks for the post. I am however concerned about the hazard comment and a little confused. If the roller makes contact with the ground and lifts the deck, weight is then transferred from the front of the mower to the rear which in effect increases rear wheel traction and thus control. Look at it this way. The Lazer has a rear weight bias when it is built to place more weight on the drive wheels. If you remove any weight forward of the rear axle you will increase the rear weight bias even greater and increase traction further. Call me at 800-667-5296 I'd like to discuss this further.

Please understand that the roller like any product performs at varying levels depending upon the grass type, region and overall condition of the lawn. You can set the roller lower with little concern until you get to the point where the roller is "pressing" the grass down rather than "combing" it over.

As with any product there is and always will be room for improvement and I'm sure you'll agree that many advantages also have a trade off. When used properly the roller performs admirably without creating unnecessary stress to the lawn.

Give me a call if you would like at 800-667-5296 if you'd like to discuss the roller in further detail.

Thanks

Terry

6. eXmark

Justmjc,

The bearings generally hold up pretty well. The largest number of failures we've seen have been attributed to the installation in some cases and running the roller too low in others.

The roller should be treated a lot like the anti-scalp rollers. You don't want them positioned so low that they are making contact with the ground at all times.

You want the roller to "comb" the grass over rather than "press" it to the ground. We've discussed the idea of a "floating" roller quite a bit. We're just not sure that the cost is offset by the benefit.

The projected bearing life has been a little tough to gauge. We could estimate based on what we've seen in testing so far. However we'll probably wait until we've got a full year of use on the latest bearing design before we comment to an expected life.

Thanks for the input.

Terry

7. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I have the " ORIGINAL " EZ Stripers on all my units ( Not the copy that eXmark offers ) and mine has grease fittings. I am hearing of alot of bearings going bad and it's NOT a matter of installation, but the striper bearings are not being lubricated. Its only common sence that if you have something that moves and it is subject to alot of moisture, You need to lubricate it !

8. eXmark

Rick,

Thanks for the post. I did do some checking with our warranty department before posting as well as discussing this with the guys who are designing the next group of rollers.

I guess we can apply a little common sense to the equation. The bearings used are pretty solid, well designed, well built and from a reputable supplier. With the roller installed properly you could probably run them for 35 hours completely dry with no grease and not have a complete failure so I'm confident that this failure was not caused by lack of lubrication. That leaves three other possibilities. The first is that some type of severe impact can cause the bearing to fail. This is possible but the least likely. The second is that the bearing simply was not up to specifications. This too is possible but would be extremely rare. The last and most probable is installation.

With the original bracket design it was difficult for the installer to determine if he/she had the roller centered between the two bearings. This often would result in the shaft not being fully engaged in the bearing and the inner race to crack and fail. The same can result if the lock collars are not properly tightened during installation. They’ve made some changes to the mounting brackets, bearings, collars etc. as well as adding a spacer to help ensure that the roller is installed properly and the bearing is fully engaged.

Our warranty department tells me that the percentage of failures is down when compared to the relatively small number of rollers built with greaseable bearings. In reality we’ve probably had more conversations regarding failed bearings than the number of actual failures. As with all greasable bearings the concern often isn't getting lubrication into the bearing it's keeping it there. Far too often a bearing is over greased rather than under greased which then damages the seal, the grease won't stay in the bearing, dirt and contamination enters the bearing and it fails. After using both designs, "greaseable and non-greaseable" it appears for the time being that we are on the right track. As with anything however technology changes as do materials, designs and so forth. Who knows maybe a better greaseable bearing may be on the horizon that will out perform the non-greaseable design. If that happens we’ll go through all the testing and try to bring the best product to market.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

9. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Terry,

I would venture a " Guess " that in the future I'll / We'll see a greasable bearing installed on the striper. Just a " Guess "

Rick

10. eXmark

Rick,

As I said time will tell however we'll probably stay with the non-greaseable as long as they continue to outperform the greaseable bearings.

Thanks

Terry