1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Striping Roller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KTNC, Feb 2, 2003.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

I'm looking for pictures of lawns mowed with Exmark's striping roller, as I'm trying to justify buying one.

Also any thoughts/comments on Exmark's rollers would be appreciated.

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Talk to Johnny Gamba. He has some awesome pics of his lawn striped with the exmark roller.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Happy New Year

540 resized.jpg
  4. John Gamba

from ct

539 resized.jpg
  5. John Gamba

from ct

It Is A Pain to Adjust The Roller For 3 To 3.5. So For The Best Affect You Need To Adjust The Roller. Bring Wrenches!!

Johnny G.
  6. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I don't have any problems adjusting my rollers on mine. It only takes a 9/16 th socket because they come with wiz nuts and you put them on the back of the bracket. All I do is turn the bolt head on the outside to loosen them, How hard is that?
  7. John Gamba

from ct

I Have 4 Nuts & Bolts. My Friend Has Your way When It Loosened Up and Fell Off It Puntured The rear tire.

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

Ok not too sound like a complete idiot.
    But how does the stripping work and what is the purpose.
    Im just starting out and i have never noticed anyone around here doing that.
  9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Stripping is like what the pictures above show, they give the lawn a professional look or a "golf course" look. Basically when you mow one direction then go back the other way the grass blades are bent a different angle than the other direction you go. With the roller it enhances the look of the stripe. The one key is not to go and do the same stripe over and over each week, you need to go different directions each week, so like that one picture of the football field above, he went that way this week, then the following week he may go the long ways of the field or go diagonal. Once all the different angles have been acheived you go back and do it all over again, eventually when you walk by the property you will see a stripe/line anyway you look at the lawn.
    If you need more explination do a search on stripping, there is TONS of info about how to stripe and such.
    Searching is the key :cool:
    Have fun
  10. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green LawnSite Member

Ive also been thinking about the roller kit for my exmarks, but is ti really worth the $200. ? here are some pics of my 60" stripes the only differance is mine look a little more like tire stripes I guess.
    I too am having trouble justifying the$. I think if your cuting down south they really help cuz Ive seen my same exmark cutting grass in Houston with not a single stripe on the lawn. up here in MI everything I cut stripes even drought stressed lawns stripe there just not green.