Striping Roller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Feb 20, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can someone show me some pictures of how to make a striping (stripping) roller? I just don't know what to use. It's for a 48" hydro wb w/sulky. Thanks,
    Chris

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

www.geocities.com/peterose275/updates.html

That page has both my roller kit, and chain kit for my mower at home. Please be aware I haven't gotten the roller from the fab shop yet, I will get it sooner or later.

Alex

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I chose to use chains.

lesstrip.jpg

4. lawncare3

1grnlwn,
    Is it possible to hook up a sulky with those chains attached?

5. 1grnlwn

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You could replace that hinge rod with bolts and then put your sulky hitch on. That would work fine. I like the "spring" loaded trip for that boom. Does it ever catch on anything? I chose to go with a flap because it is out of the way, cheap, low maintenance, quiet, people don't ask what is that lol, and doesn't obstruct the sulky operation one bit. Would have went with a deck roller but it's a fixed deck. Wouldn't work very well I am sure. Could have done a rear mounted roller like CheckMate one but didn't think that would be good for sulky either. Deck mounted rollers are nice but not if you change heights a lot and more than 1" height difference in changes. I made your flap today for the 21" Chris, took me only a few minutes. I'll try to mail it soon and you can just bolt it right on. Made one for my Lawn Boy today too.
    Eric

7. 1grnlwn

Well every once in a while it will catch a pole on the outside portion. Hinge is nice when it is time to change blades. Solid mount would hit when raising front of deck.

Mark

8. lawncare3

Thank you Eric,

I really appreciate it. :)

9. Awilkinson

Awilkinson LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have just come up with one, but no pics yet. It is a little less unsightly then others. Get a bed mat for a pick up. cut it 6" wide, and as long as your deck. drill four holes in the back of your deck. Using carrige bolt, bolt rubber to deck 1" up. This will leave 5" of down pressure and will work for most mowing hights. It will not be damaged form backing becuase it will not rise above the deck lip. This way it is cheap, out of sight, and everybody will be wondering how you got it to look so good!
    P.S. even if for some reason it would get hit by blades, no problem, will not damage blades and you still have the rest of the mat to replace it!
    Just my 2 cents!:angel:

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

That is exactly what I did but I went one step further and used semi truck mud flap. If you do this, make sure you use the rubber one not plastic one, the plastic one wears faster and digs in on turns and can tear up a soft lawn. Probably stripes better though but for the sake of the lawn use rubber ones. They look like a tire when you cut them.