Striping roller's vs. Flaps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jun 15, 2009.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

The flap method seem's to be a bit more practical and issue free, not to mention cheaper. I'm considering one for my ferris 2000, ferris makes a striping flap. I'm thinking of going that route. Are the roller's way better?

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

anyone used both in the past???

3. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

A flap will work but not as well as a roller just that simple. A flap will be much cheaper than a roller, and never break....well it may but not as a roller can.

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

thank's, you have used flap style ones?

is it the general opinion that big league lawns makes the best rolers?

5. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I've run both and hands down the roller works better. You CAN get good results with a flap (or chains) but the roller will leave better definition.

6. hvphotog

hvphotog LawnSite Senior Member

Curious why the roller works better when it seems the object is to force the grass into one direction which dragging something across it would do a better job than something rolling over the top of it?

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

^^^ that's what I was thinking.

8. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

The roller will only work better if you have it forced on the groud, holding the deck. Which isnt the best for the grass. Otherwise they are the same.

9. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

On my walk I had it 1/2" off the ground and it made consistent contact with the grass. On my Z I built a big league knock off which completely rolls on the ground. Either way there is plenty of force to push the grass down. If you go the flap route you want something thick (at least 1/2") and make sure it's resting against the ground when you mount it up. This will ensure plenty of contact with the grass.

10. tryin

tryin LawnSite Member

Here are some pictures of the flap I put on my new 717A. It works pretty good, you don't see any tire marks so I would say it is close to a roller. Roller probably work better but my ground is bumpy and I would tear it up.

Edit: You will have to see my just purchsed JD 717A thead to see the pics, it won't allow me to upload them again.