Striping St. Augustine Grass...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SeaJay, Sep 14, 2003.

1. SeaJay

SeaJay LawnSite Member

Does anyon regularly stipe St. Augustine grass? If so, do you have any pictures of your work? Thanks...

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'll try to get you some pics of a weekly account we service

3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have got a few st aug. yards that stripe ok, but not great, I would take a picture but don't have a digital camara.

4. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Stripes are very faint. You have to look at them from the right angle to see them. Mostly what shows is the tracks from the tires.

I have not tried a striping kit to see if it would help, but plans are in the works.....

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seajay,

This is about as good as I can get on St Augustine.

stripes.jpg

6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I stripe my own yard but not any customers as of now, I want to figure out the repercusions of it to the st.aug. My yard does stripe but it is harder to than most northern grass. However it may just be the picture but my stripes are much more noticable than the picture. I have done mine for about 10 cuts and it will be there until I cut again. I am working on finding a good digi cam that doesn't cost a fortune, so no pics yet. By the way I use a slide when I cut and it fills in between the wheels perfect and has 175 lb of pressure to lay the grass over. What are you using to stripe and are you using a roller. I am using a Exmark metro hp 36" and it did stripe before I got the sled on it.

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

St Augustine is such a natural looking grass, seems a shame to stripe it almost.

Curious, how hard is it to mow? With high mowing heigh, wide spread growth habit and wide leaves, it seems pretty easy. I plan on mulching it.

They were mowing/mulching it with 60" toro decks at Disney World this summer I noticed. And except for a couple of ditches the big decks messed up, it looked fine. Their mowers had some sort of special low noise mufflers on them.

8. Tidycut

Tidycut LawnSite Member

Brucec32, St. Augustine isn’t hard to mow at all, much better than Bahia (the other predominant grass in my area). It doesn’t stripe really, but you can tell the direction in which it was mowed for a few days and after a week’s worth of growth it becomes hard to tell. I love cutting nice thick lawns of St. Augustine grass you can really make them look sharp.

Rick