Striping tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gorrell, May 26, 2000.

1. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Just some info for you new guys concerning striping. When you start a job make sure you drive arrow straight, that's half the battle. The next week try to drive at a 90 degree angle to the previous week's pattern. If the lawn isn't large enough to go at a 90, try a 45 or whatever will work. Stay with these two patterns only. To redefine your stripes mow in the direction of the lighter colored stripe and the stripes will become more defined with each weeks mowing. If you try to use more than the two patterns the original, or first, pattern will most likely fade out before it can be redefined in the third week of mowing. Also, the higher you can mow the grass the better your stripes will be defined. Thanks, Lynn

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Lynn,<br> Thanks for the tip,I'll try that on my<br>new Walker.<p>Karl<br>

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Thanks Lynn, I'll try that. I couldn't resist. Seriously, if any of you new guys want to see some examples of striping, you can find some examples on my website. I also have a page on striping with 2 pictures of me mowing each direction. Others on this forum also have pictures too. If you want to visit my Website, click on my name.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

4. bw

bw LawnSite Member

what do you do if you want a good defined diamond pattern, do you have to wait a week or do you go 45 then 90 all in the same day, i can stripe but i want a well defined pattern, i can seem to get that(i don't use a professional mower yet) any help is appreciated.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

A commercial mower will help with the striping. You can mow both directions in one week, but you shouldn't have to do this to get good strips. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a hard time remembering which direction I started during the previous weeks...after four mowings, following the above guidelines, the direction and stripe become clear. I tried going two directions in a single day, and the stripe lost its effect.<p>On Erics site I didnt pay enough attention the first time...now I understand. A little more practice and I will bring my camera along.

7. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<p>On striping, what mower size do you feel leaves the best look. I currently only have a 36&quot; bobcat, and do as you mention, but just don't get the look I want. I'm about to purchase a new walk behind, and am considering a 48&quot; or 52&quot;. Will this help to define my striping signifigantly?<p>Also, is there a big differece in the 48 and 52 when it comes to striping. I have a lot of small, tight, areas and a lot of drainage swails, so I want to stick to either the 48 or 52. (just in case you want to suggest a 60 or 72, thats why i didn't mention one)<p>Thanks. And on what direction you start mowing each week and remembering... I actually wrote it down. I have certain spots I start at and have a calender marked out for the entire year on what directions to mow. <p><br>Now, I may sound silly, but it helps, especially as I get new guys on my crew. It helps them out signifigantly, not to mention gives me a quick reminder too.<p>steveair<br>

8. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

Any commercial mower should stripe good. The striping is caused by the laying down of the grass in two seperate directions. a 48&quot; or 52&quot; should both stripe good. Stay on the same lines, and use only 2 patterns. Grass that is cut taller will stripe better.<br>A tule of thumb if your new to this &quot;always stay on the lighter colored line&quot;

9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I once took over a lawn...mostly shade in the yard......where the previous company mowed the same paths every time for years. I had to eventually bring a small roller in there because of the ruts he left from running the tires in the same path over and over! So make sure you use 2 patterns and alternate them like Eric said : He's got some sweeeet pics to prove it works!!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

10. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello again,<p>The problems I have with the 36 are that if you have to &quot;correct&quot; yourself and adjust a line a little, you end up only cutting a 20 inch swath sometimes. Hard to get lines that look good when they are only 20 inches. Also, much of the turf I'm mowing is rough, and the mower is always getting bounced, even at slow speeds, so a lot of correcting is needed. I figured the bigger deck will help give me some more room for 'error' and still leave behind a nice stripe. <p>steveair