Striping with a Front Deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RayoVac, May 6, 2002.

1. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Question for Walker, Grasshopper, JD owners running out front decks (or any other models with a trailing wheel).

Anyone getting nice stripes?

If so are you running a wide stance rear?

If running a single (stock) rear, can you get as nice a look with the width of the cut being broken up by the trailing wheel?

I have a stock rear (single trailing wheel) and notice my 52" cut looks more like a 21" because the of the trailing wheel breaking it up.

Any thoughts?

RayoVac

2. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I have an outfront grasshopper that is a wide stance and the stripes are great. It has the new deck that is 5.5" deep. The stripes are more defined than with my older one that was 5". I did have a grasshopper with a single trail wheel. Back then I wasn't too interested in stripes, but now I see some guys running them and I don't think it looks as good. What kind of mower are you running. Since I went to the wide stance I would never go back to 1 wheel in the back.

3. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

SWN,

I have a 618 with the SL9852 deck (5.5" Deep).

Does the Wide Stance kit put the rear wheels behind the front wheels?

Since you had previously run the single... did you find manuverabiltiy any worse with the wide stance? Specifically more prone to turf tear or hitting objects?

Thanks for the info...

RayoVac

4. kbcjlc

kbcjlc LawnSite Member

Where can you get the Wide Stance kit? I wonder if it will fit my JD F-725 front mower... Also wondering if any company full to make full width roller for front deck or attachment to the back

Keith

5. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Keith,

At least with the Grasshoppers... the wide stance wheel kit is a GH option you can get from the dealer.

We are talking about a dual (separated) wheel kit instead of the standard single trailing wheel.

It looks like the JD 725 already has two separated wheels in the rear???

I have looked around for roller add-ons... have not seen anything commercialy made. Seems like most guys are custom making.... then others are claiming excellent stripes with no rollers, chains, rubber etc.

RayoVac

6. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Rayo Vac

I have a 725 and the tail wheels are behind to just a bit inside the drive tires.

As far as manuverabiltiy I find that it is no problem now. When I first had one it took some getting used to though. I don't know what type of yards you are in, but most of mine are at about an acre or more. The wide stance gives a much better ride. I have a friend that has a 618 with single wheel, I got on it the other day
    and it was a lot rougher ride.

I also have a midmount grasshopper, and I actually find that the front mount is easier to manuver and it is just as fast in open areas as the midmount.

7. kbcjlc

kbcjlc LawnSite Member

can anyone of you post pix?

Keith

8. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

SWN,

So it would be safe to say that the wide stance kit would put the rear wheels at least far enough out to allow a much "wider" looking cutting path. Given the trailer wheel would not be dividing it right down the middle....

You mention the trailers sit just to the inside of the drive wheels. When you look at the cut... does it appear as if you have 4 tire marks (tracks) or just two big ones?

I called my dealer today, he has the wide stance kits in stock for $270. I think it might be worth it to get rid of that division making it look like I am mowing with a 21".

I mow some tight areas... my only concern would be running into stuff!!! :eek: Sounds like it probably would not be that much different though... as long as I am careful....

Thanks again for the info.

Keith... you can see what we are talking about on GH's web site The pics are not great... but this is one with one traililng wheel... http://www.grasshoppermower.com/products/FrontMount_Acc/decks/flipup96_MAN.html

And here is one with the wide stance kit http://www.grasshoppermower.com/products/FrontMount_Acc/decks/flipup98_MAN.html

I am guessing you probably thought we were talking about some thing cool and radically different.... Now you are thinking... Oh Yeah!!!! ;)

RayoVac

9. LAWnENFORCER

LAWnENFORCER LawnSite Member

I just got a JD F510. Does JD make a wide stance kit. If so how much. Also what type of mulching blades would work best for a 38" w/17 kaw. I have found the same prob as RayoVac; which is the crooked center stripe from the third wheel.

Also does anyone know if I could put a larger deck on the F510.

Thanks
    Kevin

KB LAWN SERVICE
    Central TX

10. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Kevin,

Have some info on your JD 510. I researched the F510 and F525 quite a bit before I got the GrassHopper.

The 38" deck is the only deck available on the F510. It appears as if the 48" would fit... but JD does not sell it for the 510. Note also the power difference between the 510 and 525.... maybe why they only offer the 38" on the 510.

As far as a wide stance... nothing available for the F510/F525... since both are steered by the rear wheel... it would take a complete change of the rear end and steering components.

The mowers I was referencing like the Walker, Grasshopper and larger JDs F680 and F687 steer with the drive wheels and the rear is just a trailing wheel. All of these offer kits that take the single fork traililng wheel and add a second on a frame so that the two wheels are much farther apart. They help distribute the rear weight of the unit and provide an improved ride.

Hope that helps,

RayoVac