1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Striping with my 32" Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLC51, Jul 13, 2005.

1. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I made a striping rig for my 32" Stander with chain and some odds and ends. I used 3/8" heavy chain, a old piece of 1/2" square bar, a couple of chain clevis, and some 1/2" wire rope clamps. The mower already had two holes conviently located just below the tipover wheels so I didn't need to drill. The clevis screws in and can be removed quickly if needed. the wire clamps hold the bar tight, the extra clamps on the bar keep the chain from sliding back and forth. The chain is of varying length because of the close proximity to the wheels, shorter on the ends so they don't get caught under the wheels. Here are some pics of the setup and a couple of lawns. :waving:

chain overall.jpg

chain close up.jpg

wavy stripes.jpg
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

thats looks REAL nice. how much does a mower like that cost?
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man I really wish I had waited to see this before I spent the 300 on a kit now.
    I guess that fixes the problem of not being able to turn due to rollers will mess up the stripes.

Wright Stander - 32" Deck

Model Engine MSRP
    WS3215KAW 15 h.p. Kawasaki Recoil $ 4,999.00
    WS3217KAWRE 17 h.p. Kawasaki Recoil & Electric $ 5,599.00
  4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

damn tats alot for just a 32" mower
  5. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!! I will try to bult it for my tiger cub.
  6. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

Phew, home taking a break and having lunch the thermometer says 94 but with the humidex it feels like 109. Long heat wave and about a 1/4 of the normal rainfall. Anyway, the list price on the Stander 32" 15hp up here is $7400. I got it for $6800 less $2000 for the Toro 44" 20hp hydro I traded in on it. The exchange rate and duties etc. really bump up the prices. The price on the 36" isn't much more but I got the 32" because I have a lot of tight spaces and gates to get through. Productivity is great. I time all my work and time wise I'm doing better. The cut in better too IMO. Make sure the chain you get is heavy. Iv'e seen some pics and the chain looks pretty light. The chain I used is quite heavy 3/8" grade 30. Measure how much you will need it's surprising how much you use. I got 3 1/4 yds and had to another 2 yards. :waving:
  7. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

why the different length chains?
  8. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

The shorter chains at the end are so they don't get caught under the wheels.
  9. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

That tells me that...the stripes will be darker in the middel...make any sence to anyone??
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

The wheels make their own stripe, you dont really need them behind the wheels at all, just in between