1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

striping ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACUTABOVETHEREST, Feb 8, 2007.

from Indiana

Ok, I have been in business for a little over a year now. My question to you guys is: Do you try to stripe everything you mow? I like the look of the striped effect, but some properties you just can't do it. Do customers prefer the striped look? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. Mike
  2. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

not all of mine want the stripes. my one commercial account, the guy i made the contract with, asks why do i cross up the pattern if it takes longer...the yard is wide and narrow...about 8 swipes with big mower from left to right....more if i cross it up...thanks
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i strip everything i mow, cant help it, my mower lays down nice stripes without trying, just happens...

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

honestly laying stripes is the best way to cut a lawn. I normally have 4 different patterns i use that way the lawn never develops ruts.
  5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

We stripe everything. Not always the customers who comment, I get a lot of people who know where we mow, they see me at the gas station or store and tell me how nice so & so's house looks. Like daveintoledo says... "cant help it"
  6. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

some people like them but if the yard is to small...well try your best!
  7. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

Never had a complaint. I feel striping is the way to go. I think its easier, and obviously it looks better. But you may find the occasional person who think it looks bad. But unless otherwise specified, get your stripe on.
  8. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on grass types down here. Fescue and Zoysia stripe nicely. It is pointless on bermuda unless you burn the stipes in, and that is not good for the health of the soil. I still mow in different directions on bermuda each visit, but the stripes only last for about 2 days and at that they are only really visible with the sun at your back.