Striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mark_the_psycho, Oct 25, 2007.

1. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

I have a question about striping, but before I ask I want some opinions on what people think I used to do this

[​IMG]

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

a lawnmower

3. mark_the_psycho

I would've been disappointed if someone hadn't said that. I mean what type walk behind, zero turn, etc.

4. pbdlandscaping

pbdlandscaping LawnSite Member

you can stripe with pretty much any mower, it's just your technique. My Toro 48" T-Bar lays beautiful stripes without a kit. It also depends on how the grass looks, burnt grass will hardly ever stripe, green grass is the key. Strong growing grass will stripe with any mower. On really small lots with small gates, i use my 21" and i filled the rubber flap in the back with some sand and plugged the ends and it stripes beautifully. its all technique.

5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a WB, probably about 21" with a pull behind striping kit. The kind you can find on ebay and fill them with sand and attach them. Now whats my prize... lol

6. mark_the_psycho

I bought one of those at homedepot, they are $hi+, the thing didn't even fit together without filing (I don't remember what I had to file). I promptly returned it, told them of my troubles and showed them and they gave me my money back and no longer carry them.

PS
    You're wrong, push mowers aren't as wide as the stripes.

7. mark_the_psycho

Interesting idea, but what is there to fill? I to a large piece of ribar and stuck it in the bottom of the flap (flap is J shaped). Got a pic?

8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

The stripes look pretty narrow to me in the pic. Especially the 2 darker stripes that are just a little right of the center.

9. mark_the_psycho

Will post answer (and question at 4:00)

10. pbdlandscaping

pbdlandscaping LawnSite Member

definitely a 36" mower, you can see the tire tracks on the outside of the stripes, most 36" mowers have the tires lined up with the outside of the deck.