Striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell36, Apr 23, 2008.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

what is the best way to stripe? i'm wondering about angles...we usually mow either parallel or perpendicular to the driveway or sidewalk then on the next mow we do a 45 degree angle in one direction...lately i've been noticing different companies doing different angles, such as going parallel to the drive way then a sharper angle, like maybe a 22.5 degrees? angle on the next mow...whats the best way?

also, how many different directions do you eventually mow in a yard?

2. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Two or three directions, maximum. I do two and alternate week by week.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

three usually, but on yards we cut more often i get in four.

4. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

how steep of an angle, 45 degrees, 22.5 degrees, anything else?

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I did these with my Cub Enforcer today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. A-Land

Something needs to be said about stripes. A stripe should be uniform, side to side. All you really have is tire tracks. Look at the grass between the tire marks, and you can see how there is really no difference stripe to stripe. So that's not a real stripe, that's just wheel marks.

7. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Can i jump in here, I just got a ZTR (Small Gravely). The question I have about striping/wheel marks is how do you hide where you turn at end of area. I cant get my lines to just end invisibly when i come to where I have to turn around and head back the other way. What is the trick?

8. A-Land

On a ztr make sure you turn into uncut grass. at the end of the row, turn away from what you have mowed and go ahead. Just stay away from what you have done.

Depending on the application, you can also mow a header strip after you mow the rows to hide the turns at the end.

9. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Nice stripes!! I guess the deere and wildlife probably enjoy the neat lines. :laugh:

Most stripes are for the benefit of the lco, the guy cutting the lawn.

In past discussions, it's a waste of time and money...:hammerhead:

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Are you speaking of my pics? I mowed with the Cub without checking the cut height on the deck. After I got done and we were talking, I got a tape measure out and parked it on flat concrete. I noticed I needed the deck one notch from being all the way up. Sure enough the deck was over 3/4 in lower then the indicator said it was set at! Needless to say, I made a bunch of adjustments but haven't cut with it yet to see what the finished look will be. I'll know today. :)