Striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LifeBack Lawns, Jul 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. LifeBack Lawns

LifeBack Lawns LawnSite Member

Any Ideas why the "diamonds" aren't popping out or defined? My thought is it looks pretty dry though we have been getting crazy amounts of rainfall. It is a tall fescue and cut at 4.25'' the next cut was at 4.5''. This yard has been neglected as you can tell by the shrubbery. It has some clover and just about anything you can find in a southern yard where they want a cut and no turf maintenance.

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

2. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

Whats your deck pitched at?? Its not a bobcat is it?

3. Khazaad

Khazaad LawnSite Member

You probably have a picture of a professional baseball field in your mind when you're comparing your patterning vs. what you're trying to get.

The "lines" you may be hoping for occur because the turf is literally rolled flat in different directions. The significantly smaller footprint your mower leaves in an attempt to create the same effect is incomparable.

Perspective is everything: The elevated vantage point you captured these pictures shows a pretty harsh view of the lawn and many of its imperfections. Also consider the size of the lawn, vs. the size of the mower's footprint to reemphasize the point above; Take the upper right hand quarter of the lawn in the picture. If the entire front yard was only that large, the effect would appear a lot closer to what I imagine you had in mind.

For what it's worth to you, the obvious, deliberate variation in your mow lines coupled with the fact you'd post this question on a forum in the first place are a testament to your professionalism. That customer is lucky to have you.

4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Probably cut too short.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

it's hard to stripe clover and weeds...

Here is one we do that is basically the same way, and cut at 3"!!! ugh...
    [​IMG]

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks like the lawn needs some Fert Dark green grass shows strips better

7. Promise-Land

Promise-Land LawnSite Member

Check your deck pitch, tire pressure, use high lifts, and try cutting a little shorter.

8. LifeBack Lawns

It is an 1/8" higher in the rear and no it is not a bobcat.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. LifeBack Lawns

The neighborhood is one of those where everything has to be kept up, prefer the grass cut on x day even they are mainly weeds, etc. I understand cool season and warm season grasses are different ad lay down differently. I also know that the amount of light and angle matters too. I know their are a few things to take into consideration, but not much you do with a neglected and weed infested yard I guess.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. LifeBack Lawns

When is 4.25" too short for tall fescue mixed with a lot of weeds?
    Posted via Mobile Device