striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by husqvarna600c, Jun 13, 2004.

1. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

OK i know this is going to create some friction but here goes.

I hope striping is a fad that goes away quickly. I see some multi million dollar homes here and the ones that are striped just take away from the appearance. There are the houses that are not striped and they are beautiful and green and very pretty then you go to the next one and it looks like your at the baseball field.

I have a handful of customers that want them but most here do not want any signs that i have been on the lawn. Has anyone had more request stripes or complaints?

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I have a grasshopper and a bobcat w/b. Grasshopper has a flap behind the deck, bobcat has no striping add-ons.

Both stripe wicked. Don't know how not to. :confused:

3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Green Monster, it is just about impossible not to have some sort of stipes on the lawns. The machines naturally stripe, all depends on your mowing patterns and height of the cut.

4. EastProLawn

I'd really like to see a freshly cut lawn with no signs of a mower having been there.:confused:

5. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

It was an expression of how the customer wants a clean lawn. of course you are going to have lines and such.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Stripes look much better and more profesionaly done then if you just went in big circles or what ever around the lawn like some idiot home owner.

7. EastProLawn

LOL, that's funny :D
    Some idiot homeowner....LOL Big Time

8. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

Why not try some curves that lead your eye gracefully over a landscape? Straight lines are O.K. and one should learn how to cut a straight line - but there is nothing worse than looking at a squiggly, bent or crooked line that was supposed to be straight.

Straight lines are everywhere! Do something unique and different if you have turf that holds a pattern well. Curved lines or arcs are more pleasing and graceful than a straight line - there are enough straight lines on the house, driveway or sidewalk.

Our customers love the curves and we have picked up a lot of work from neighbors that want a unique pattern - we never put the same design in two lawns that are side by side.

The design possibilities are endless!

We target customers that will pay more for the extra work involved with design layout and close attention to detail.

It is always a good idea to lay out a design that can easily be changed and look good with a new design layed in the turf.

You can mow the stripes backwards to erase some patterns or you can drag a rubber bed mat behind the mower to erase a pattern and decrease the residual stripes when a new pattern is desired.

The photo is a little fuzzy

janke turf & mulch 002.jpg

9. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

Different angle

janke turf & mulch 004.jpg

10. EastProLawn

Now that's some nice work Fescue Farmer.