Stripped blade bolt head help needed?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by robert payer, Oct 6, 2002.

1. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

The blade bolt head on a 21" trim mower has been stripped for a couple months. Fixing it has been put off because I am not sure what else to do in an attempt to loosen it. The bolt head is mis- shaped and can not be wrenched. Hopefully some one might have some ideas on how this can be solved.

By the way if any one ever should does a search to check on cubcadet push mowers this is one and I am sincere that I hold it dear! Bought it at Lowe's Hardware Had it since Spring.
    Blade bolt is my own fault I guess?

Thank You for your future help!

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Not knowing how bad it is, try a metric socket. Use one that's a tad smaller and hammer it on the head. In other words, a 1/2" head would normally take a 13mm socket and the 12mm socket would be too small to fit regularlly, which "is" the one you want to use and hammer it on.
    Pete

3. lohr

lohr LawnSite Member
    from 18411

Take a larger nut than the size of the head of the bolt and plug weld the nut onto the bolt,plug weld means weld just in the center of the nut, so that when you are done you have a clean nut to wrench on.I hope that explains it ,sometimes what gets typed does not look the same as in my head.

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

large pipe wrench

5. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

First I would get the biggest pair of vice grips you have, lock them on there as tight as you can, then tap with a hammer and it should come loose. If not Snap on, mac, sears and others I can't think of have a socket that is designed to remove bolts with striped heads. It has spiral like teeth on the inside that grab whats left of the head and spins it out. They work best on an impact, but will work with hand tools. Hope this helps, later snapper..

6. If the metric socket or vise grips dont do it grind the bolt head off.
    Once the blades comes off you can grip the bolt and unscrew it easily.

7. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Wow,
    So many good ideas! Thanks guys.

8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

take a rotary tool and grind a flat head slot in it
    then try and use a drill with a no. 3 flat head bit in it

9. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

pipe wrench..the harder you pull the tighter it gets
    hope this helps