Stripped muffler bolt mounts for Echo trimmer-help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Barkleymut, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

After cleaning out the exhaust port on my Echo 2601 trimmer I was putting the muffler back on with the same screws that were securing the muffler before. As with just about everything else I tightened them until they were snug and then giving them another big twist to secure them. OOOPPPSSS. I never thought about the head being an alloy and the threads just dissapeared. So now I have to secure the bolts into no threads. I tried using JB Weld but the heat was too high so it would not hold. I have considered using self tapping screws to see if that would work but I don't want to ruin my favorite trimmer. Any advice from anyone who is more mechanical than myself would be appreciated.

2. grasscutter

grasscutter LawnSite Member

use a heli-coil. i assume they are still available. i used them for the same exact same purpose when i worked for a 2 cycle engine manufacturer.

3. Remo Sid

Remo Sid LawnSite Member
    from USA

why would you use heli coils in the "manufacture" of an engine?

4. Remo Sid

Remo Sid LawnSite Member
    from USA

I used to run Echos...I had the same problem on some of them. The problem does seem to be unique to Echos. I never found a good way to fix them.

5. grasscutter

grasscutter LawnSite Member

i worked in the r&d lab. lots of the engines i worked with were one of a kind prototypes and too expensive to throw away because of stripping threads.

6. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

OK I don't know if Echos use metric or standard thread bolts, but I have saved myself more than a few times by finding the right sized slightly larger metric bolt that could be used in place of standard bolt or a standard bolt that was slightly larger than metric. Sometimes I used a tap first some times I don't it just depends on the hole size and type of metal involved.

7. Remo Sid

Remo Sid LawnSite Member
    from USA

Oh I see. You used them in the engineering stage, not the manufacturing stage.

If they were stripping threads would they not need throwing away?

The problem with the Echos is not only stripping when tightening, but sometimes when you try to loosen them the threads come out with the screw.

8. Remo Sid

Remo Sid LawnSite Member
    from USA

The screws are metric, screwed into aluminium. The area around the screw hole is not much at all. If not carefull you will crack the metal.

9. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I agree Remo Sid. But if the units trash any way what,s he got to lose?

10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

My favorite trimmer thats what Leadarrows! JK
    I realize for another $300 I could have another trimmer but with the off season upon us I will attempt to fix the problem. I have tried a slightly bigger metric screw and it held for a couple of weeks but then came loose.

Any other ideas?? Any types of chemical welding things that ya'll can think of? How hot is the muffler, in degrees Farenheit?