1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stripping a trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by agrostis palustris, Jul 31, 2002.

1. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

Hello everyone. I just picked up a used 18' open landscape trailer for pretty cheap. My intention is to sell it, however if I can't I will fix it up for myself. The deck on the thing is "constructed" of rotted 2x8's? I would like to know what is the proper / best / fastest way to get the lumber and any other necessary garbage off of there. I have a large compressor to use if need be. What equipment will I need?
  2. A chain saw or circular saw. Cut hem in the middle but make sure you don't hit any wires or metal.

Next replace them with treated lumber and flex the bpards to fit back in. They will give plenty to fit.

This is how I did mine.
  3. Norway911

Norway911 LawnSite Member

Hey A.P.,

Where in New York are you? I am looking for a trailer.
  4. agrostis palustris

ME use a chain saw? LOL!!! NO WAY I am going to use my babies on a trailer. Are you sure that a circular saw would work? I was almost thinking a sawzall? Also what should I do about the bolts and what not holding the boards down?
  5. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

i whould get a air rachet and pull all the bolts off, if there in bad shape cut them with the saw.
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Not buy junk to try to fix it and sell it for a little profit.

Careful about getting into the junk business up there in New York, I heard its mafia controlled. LOL!!!
  7. agrostis palustris

Where do you think I got it from? ;)
  8. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

The circular saw would work fine as long as you don't hit any meat objects which will dull the blade quick or even worse.....the sawzall would also work if you can either plunge it or get a cut started w/ the circular saw by plunging the circular saw. If you hit metal w/ the sawzall it will be much less severe....less danger and easier & cheaper to replace the blade. Remove the bolts if neccassary. Definitely use treated lumber as replacement. Show us some pictures. So either a circular saw or sawzall would work fine. The "quickest" way would be the circular saw and using the sawzall for "trimming". Just plunge the circular saw into the wood by holding the blade guard up if you have to. Set the depth of cut 1/4" more than whatever you are cutting for best results and least resistance.
  9. agrostis palustris

Well today I removed the rotten deck boards. I took a bunch of pictures of the frame work. Didn't take too long with a sawzall and a few different blades.
  10. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Did you have a problem with the bolts?
    I was going to suggest bolt cutters. They are also handy for removing baskets on tree balls and rebar. Get some.
    Don't bother trying to line up the old bolt holes, drill new ones.
    So you want to put on 1 or 2 boards at a time to make sure that you hit the rib across the bottom.
    Oh yeah, paint it first, it's a chalenge after those boards are in the way.
    Have fun buddy...