1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stripping question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Oct 30, 2003.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up mine recently so there is little time left to play with it. I know that the unit comes with directions on how to place the height vs the cut height. The question I have is what are you doing to give the best looking visible strip? Just going by the directions or do you lower the roller a notch or two lower? Are you cutting the grass higher and lowering the roller to the lowest setting?

I guess what I'm asking is how do I get that perfect visible strip? I understand the type of grass contributes as well? Any comments?
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dont know anything about rollers, but if your asking about the best STRIPPING, you need a 3" brass pole, the higher the better, mount it on a stage. This way they can gyrate around it and climb it. Make sure you have nice lights and cheap beer.

Make them work for those $ bills!

Oh, I'm sorry,.....Did you mean STRIPING question.???

Don't know what the directions say, but at a 3 1/4" cut height, my roller is at 1 1/4" off the ground. This allows me a good stripe from a low 2 3/4" up to 3 3/4" without ANY changing of holes. Any lower and it hits too many roots etc. and gouges in corners. I found the sweet spot and kept it there.
  3. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Anyone else?
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i think i'd just experiment with it on a customers lawn. change the heights, see what comes out the best.
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

TLS, LMAO!!
  6. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

lol TLS
  7. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I believe that I can answer your question justmjc, since I'm the designer of the EZ Striper. What you want to do is place your mower deck at the height that you are going to mow ( not in the carry position) but lowered ready to mow and set your roller in the nearest hole setting that will give you between 1/2" and 3/4" clearance from the ground. You don't want the roller to roll on the ground , you just want the roller to lay the grass over , which will give you the stripes. If I can be of any other help just email me at: Ricksz28@adelphia.net
  8. i never mow any lower then 3 and 1/4 inch i set my ezstripper on my lazer hp at a 1/4 inch off my flat surfaced shop floor .

Works for me
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

1/4" odin? Thats a bit low, don't you experience deck shake as it often times supports the deck? With mine an INCH higher, I get fantastic stripes, and no gouging on turns, and it allows me to cut as low as 2.5". At 2.5" its almost touching, and I only have ONE lawn that is capable of this setting.
  10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I also have mine about an inch off the ground when cutting at 3 - 3.5 inches.