Stripping vs mowing...!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Commando, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Noticed a lot of lawn services, could care less about stripping properties, it's more like mow and go...
    Does the price per cut affect this decision when does multiple cuts come into play ...?

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Oh, I thought this was about something else..... (got it out of the way)

Do whatever you need to get the job done. Striping is a direct result of mowing the most efficient way possible (for most lawns) so it's a win/win really. I like the look if it's done cleanly.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

99.99% of your customers could give a rat's *** about striping unless you're mowing Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium. When is the last time a new customer asked ya, 'you do use a striping kit, don't you?' Un huh...

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Rod. We as LCO's usually care more than customers.(we do have a few who like them) I like the look myself,but do not want my guys spending extra time doing it...Cut the grass,edge and clean up ...Hopefully they will have left some stripes in the lawn ...double cutting usually is reserved for those times in the spring when the rain has made the grass grow excessively...

5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I have found that striping a yard is usually the fastest way to get it cut anyway. Might as well do it.

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Plus striping takes more time to do. Once you get away from striping you soon realize how much faster you can mow.

7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

How does it take longer?

The shortest distances are straight lines.

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have guys here that I refer to as mowing as farmers. Just mow in a circle and blow all grass out or in whatever, and go. Who cares what it looks like where as my entire crew takes pride in what that yard looks like and after a few mows, it is a checker board look. I think it is more professional looking.

9. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

cross cutting is better for the lawns now it is not always possible 95% of the time it is being we are there for the benefit of the property we do it we get our price and we do what we nned to do to keep the propert looking good. I would guess that people who say no we can care less also cut the lawns in a drought just to charge for a cut and make easy money. we are a proprety maintence company and we take time and pride in our work, now saying that we do not spend excessive time just what ever it takes to keep a proffesional image, if not they could hire the kid next door with a mower. also less ruts, and for the 5% of properties that can not be crossed cut our second pass is a half pass then back to full passes to help forming of ruts. take some pride in your business

10. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree! I have actually timed myself mowing the same patch of turf different ways. I mowed it like a typical homeowner rider would do, I stripped it, and I mowed it in the shape of a bulls eye. I was astonished to see that I was only within a minute or two of each other, and stripping it was actually the fastest. This was a two acre open field, too!

The only time it takes you longer to mow, stripe, or whatever, is when you double or triple cut.