1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Strips with a ferris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cjohns05, Jan 27, 2011.

1. cjohns05

cjohns05 LawnSite Member

I have a ferris is2000 with a stripping kit. Does anyone else have problems making good strips with this set up. any suggestions?

2. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my suggestion, learn to spell "stripe" correctly & you might get an answer someday!
  3. Green Feet Lawn

Green Feet Lawn LawnSite Member

4. cjohns05

cjohns05 LawnSite Member

ever heard of a typo ?%#hole
  5. dsittler

dsittler LawnSite Member

I suspect that the striping kit on a Ferris is a roller mounted on the rear of the deck. What I have found is that stripes are not very pronounced the first time you do them, however if you mow the lawn the same way everytime the stripes will become more visible. Also some types of grass do not stripe as well as others. I have found once you mow the property a few times the stripes really start to show up.

( I apologize beforehand for any spelling mistakes I might have made) :eek: :confused:
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Where are you located and what kind of grass are you trying to stripe?
  7. Green Feet Lawn

Green Feet Lawn LawnSite Member

Actually Ferris uses a heavy rubber flap mounted to the rear of the deck. Without a striping kit on my ferris, it does not stripe. The new ICD deck comes with a striping kit and is supposed to have a better cut.
    You should be alternating directions. The weight of the zero turn mower and the often soft ground will cause rutting.
  8. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

all of my ferris's throughout the years stripe great without any weird kit. But the point is to cut the grass.
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

He's in Fl. and cuts St. Augustine. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Cjohns05 Ignore the people trying to get thier post count up by your typo issue. Give us some more details on your location, type of grass, inch of cut your mowing at, ext... and we can answer your questions better.