Strobes for plowing

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by stroker51, Dec 7, 2006.

1. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, i think i'm gonna buy a 97 F350 Powerstroke Single rear wheel 4x4 and put a 7.5 ft meyer w/ pro wings on it for now till I can justify a Boss or Western V. Anyhow, i want to set this one up right, get the strobes in the turn signals, light bar on top, etc. I had too many close encounters plowing last week with people just not freakin seeing me. What does everybody run as far as strobes go, and where can I get them for the old body style Fords? Thanks.

2. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

It doesn't really matter what style ford you have. The hidden strobes that youre talking about fit into holes that you drill into the back of the lights in which you want the strobes in. Then screw in the flash bulbs and wire 'em up.

3. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Being from GA, I obviously do not plow.

My only point is that you might wanna think about the glare issue. This might now be a factor, but that's the first thing I thought of. We've went totally LED on our fire apparatus. Before with strobes the rain, sleet, and snow would cause horrible glare problems. The LED's have eliminated this.

Of course with LED's, putting them in existing light sockets are not possible with high quality LED's.

4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, a stobe bar will give you a huge headache while plowing, I would only go halogen, or if you can afford them LEDs. LEDs are the best of the best IMO. The hideaways in the front will drive you nuts reflecting off the plow. You might want consider only putting them in the rear.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with only putting them in the rear of the truck. It's not going to help you if they are in the front.JMO

6. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I will also agree the flashback from strobes, particularly from clear ones, is a real PIA in snowy conditions. Not a good option for a plow truck IMHO.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

You also may want to do a search at http://www.plowsite.com you can get alot of good info there for snow and ice.

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

what ever you do get something people sometimes dont think or dont care