Strobes - Safety, showboating, or advertising?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by OnMyOwn, Jan 10, 2006.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Several guys run around town with their truck strobes on the entire time they are cutting. At first, I thought this was a "show-boating" trick, but began to consider it as advertising. As soon as I see a truck with strobes, I always rubber neck to see who is providing the service. Finally, the ultimate benefit is safety to the crew.

How do you guys feel about it?

2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Its more for advertising I was talking to a account manager of a multiple state company and he even says its mostly for looks. I'm getting front and rear strobes put in mine in the spring.

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I only turn mine on when they are needed.A few of my accounts the only place to park is on a fairly busy street so i turn my strobes on and put a couple traffic cones behind my trailer. As soon as i pull away they get turn off(unless i forget)

I would also suggest LED lights much less battery amp draw :)

4. OnMyOwn

I'm curious how your state views the parking on the street. I too have several clients on busy, 2-lane streets. I struggle and park a block away and walk the equipment to the homes. What would happen if someone had an accident due to the fact that you blocked one-half of a busy two-lane street, while cutting for 1/2 hour, or so.

Regarding Indiana, I am not sure about the legaility of doing so.

5. OnMyOwn

I did have strobes put in one of my trucks for snowplowing last year. Be careful. I went to a "Reputable" dealer and he screwed things up bad. His installation crew drilled holes in the tops of my lights and did not even seal the holes properly prior to finishing the installation. The first time it rained, I had 2" of rain in each light fixture. I went back to the company and they claim the leak was not their problem, nor their failure on installation. In their words, this is how we have always installed them. At this point, it becomes a he-said, she-said battle and I ended up losing. Make sure whomever installs your bulbs drills them in the sides of your light housings, not the tops.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that it is for both safety and advertisement

7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont like to but on some of my propertys there really isnt an option.I try to pull as close to the curb as possible. I turn my led lights on and put 5 cones on and angle behind my trailer so any oncoming traffic sees it ahead of time.

One time i did have a cop (who seemed mad he had to stop for a minute to let traffic pass) pull over and tell me to get my truck off the street. Never had that happen again.If its a really curvy road i would try my best to get in a driveway just to avoid any potential accident. Im not sure what the actual law is but i found if you get in and out quick nobody bothers you

8. 4x4Jim

4x4Jim LawnSite Member

:nono: Well, number one it is illegal to drive around with your strobes on. If a cop sees this, he will write you up, and if he really wants to be an a-hole he will get you for impersonating a cop. To use your lights for saftey is one thing, to drive around like an idiot is another, and you are gonna get in trouble sooner or later, and spoil it for others who really need the lights for saftey.

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I use mine if im plowing a small lot that is close to a busy street. Or if im parked with my trailer on a busy street or if the truck is sticking out into the street a few feet. I have 8 lights, all 90watts, 4 in the front headlights and 4 in back. But as soon as the truck goes into Drive, the lights come off.

10. 4x4Jim

4x4Jim LawnSite Member

Exactly, you use them for safety purposes, which is what they are intended for. I have 2 strobes and 2 LED's upfront, 4 strobes, and 2 LED's in the rear, and 4 LED's on the trailer. I only use them when I am plowing, or if I am parked on a busy road where there is a chance of my equipment getting hit.