strong exhaust!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Sep 25, 2004.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I have noticed with one of my newer fs85's only about 6 months old, that I an getting an extreme amount of blueish exhaust smoke, and it is quite overwhelming the odor that is! What could the problem be, too much oil in gas? I use the stihl high performance oil in the little orange bottle.

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Experiment with different makes of 2 stroke oils (Echo mix, Shin Mix, ect). Ive use Sthil mix and had the blue smoke as well but others were cleaner. Also may vary mixture %. What are u mixing now, 32 to 1? try 50 to one as long as weather temp is not blistering hot. Id try different brand first though

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, if you are doing 50:1 on the Stihl oil, then try Opti-2 or Amsoil.

4. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

ya, I have the same problem with our sf85 I practically fumigate the area when i use it we are using the stihl oil 50:1 I wished i hadnt bought that case of the stuff at the beginning of the yr. I will be going to Amsoil when this is used up

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I get the same results with stihl 50:1 quite a bit of smoke. I use ''no smoke'' and almost never see any smoke at all.

6. apluslawn

apluslawn LawnSite Member

use opti 2 it is 99% smoke free and eliminates carbon build up

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree, Opti II is great 2-cycle oil. I've noticed a lot less smoke and carbon buildup.

8. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I got a lot of smoke using Stihl oil. I, too, switched to Opti and the problem vanished.

9. rico387

rico387 LawnSite Member

I have used Mercury Outboard 2cycle oil exclusively for years with great results. Mercury has been building 2cycle engines for a long time and their oil is BIA/certified for small engines. I get no smoke, good fuel economy, and clean plugs.
    Rick IAFF local 2294