1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stronger solution in backpack, less water?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by naturescape, Feb 4, 2006.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have looked into using a cda (Herbi) sprayer, I even bought one, so that I can get by with mixing much less, as these sprayers use about a 1:1 solution of herbicide to water.

The less water you have to mix, the less mixing you have to do and the farther you can spray on a tank.

I don't think it's gonna work for me tho, all I do is spot treat and it won't be precise enough.

What do you people think of using a stronger solution in my backpack sprayers and just giving a quick squirt on the weedy areas as opposed to saturating the weed with solution?

Before, I was using about 1.5 ounces of concentrate to 1 gallon of water in a bp sprayer. I'm thinking of going the max recommended rate, 1.5 ounces of concentrate to .5 gallons of water. I'd go twice as far on my backpack sprayer.

What do you think and does anyone go even stronger than what is recommended in order to do less mixing?
  2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

if you are using a backpack you just need to watch and use a finer spray tip, I've used a .20 gal @ 40psi tip for spraying stronger concentrates such as what's in a perma green mix. It all comes down to adjusting your tip size to the volume you want to use at the proper pressure for good coverage.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

where did you get you herbi at? did you get a decent price? i saw one in a mag and they wanted over $300 for it. i do what GRASSGUY does, match the spray tip on the backpack to the volume of the PG.
  4. naturescape

Well, I don't think I like the herbi and I'm sending it back. I spent about $200 for mine. Their site is at: http://www.bubco.com/sprHand.asp
    Prices vary, and they said the best sprayer for spot treating would be about $450. But if you're doing bands of spraying, you'd be ok with the one I bought.

I think for this year, I'm switching to the 4.75 G Shin. BP sprayer, and spraying at least double the concentrate to water that I used before. And I'll use the appropriate tip, thanks Grassguy, I'll really look into those more thoroughly.

This will keep my mixing to to at least half, which means way more profit for me as most of my time with bp's is spent mixing.
  5. naturescape

The bad thing about these herbi's is they spray about a foot ahead so it's hard to know just where you're spraying compared to a bp with wand and nozzle.
  6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Issues of plant to be controlled, mode of action, area treated, phytotoxicity, off target effects, drift, use of a non-ionic surfactant or crop oil, re-entry times - all come into play when using a herbicide in a spray solution of less water.
    What herbicide are you using?
    Usually, to use the higher rate, certain site conditions need to be met, and simpy desiring to cut down on spray time isn't one of them.
  7. naturescape

Mainly, I'll be using Speedzone (with 2D4) and Powerzone (without). PBI lists .1 to 4 gallons of water per 1K sq ft. with these products, so I'm assuming if I use .5 G per 1K, mixed with 1 oz. product, I'll be fine, and won't be overapplying product, yet saving on water needed to be carried.
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Watch both your soil temps and sustained daylight temps with any product containing 2,4-D.
    To cool and it won't work and to hot, the product volitalizies.