Strongest/lightest/most reliable 2-stroke trimmer/edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ijustwantausername, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi, getting away from my Stihl 4-mixes as I hate them, I want something with a throttle.

Redmax and Shindaiwa are on my radar, which models are good that you have used?

2. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

I like my stihl 90s but they are heavy and you can only run them at full throttle.. Try a stihl fs 70, they are an awesome commercial 2 stroke. I've had no trouble with my unit in 3 years and it's pretty light and powerful.
    As for an edger, I like the 90s because I always run them at full throttle, and they are strong and powerful and way more fuel efficient than any two stroke. My two 90 edgers are 6 years old, no problems at all, always start up 2nd or 3rd pull cold with no prime or choke. With the 4 strokes, of course the only maintenance issue you have over a 2 stroke is valve adjustments, and that takes 10 mins.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  3. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool. I actually had an fs80 before I switched over to all 4 mix. It was ok but still heavy, I need at least that amount of power, but more would be even better.

4. SoutharkBob

SoutharkBob LawnSite Member

I bought a new FS94 a couple weeks ago and I really am liking it. Very light and powerful. Once I emptied the Stihl string out of it .. it got a lot better. I had ran a RedMax Tr2300s since 2005 or 6 and love it.. but it isn't as powerful as this one.

5. zackvbra

Is it a 2 stroke? I may have to go look at one Monday morning.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

husqvarna trimmers

7. SoutharkBob

It is a 2 stroke.. I bought a 4 mix when they first came out and I hated that thing.. sold as soon as I could.

8. zackvbra

I really like the 4 stroke engine on an edger though. Not so much a weedeater. Even though I own 2 fs 90 weedeaters. Only have 1 two stroke, and that's the fs70 great little weedeater
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. SoutharkBob

I had ran the FS85 before .. I just didn't like how the 4mix felt when running it. You will be impressed with the new FS94..

10. icebreaker

icebreaker LawnSite Member
    from nw pa

Posted via Mobile Device