strongest

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, May 25, 2001.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

whats the strongest trimmer string ive be using o95 its good just wondering if theres better.thanx

2. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

I think that there is a 105. Probably won't fit to many trimmers though.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We use .105 Crossfire by Echo in our Shindaiwa trimmers with no midifications. We have used as big as .135, great for doing heavy duty trimming like areas overgrown with weeds. It is to heavy for grass in my opinion, but it will cut it. Just not as nice of a cut. .105 is almost to big. :)

It is amazing how much better .105 holds up than .095 and it's not much differance in size.

4. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

All I've been able to find is the 095 Crossfire around here. Been looking for the 105

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

There is .155 available for the ECHO Rapid loader head. I use that and then yesterday I picked up some .105 and prefer that. The .155 really uses HP up and doesn't seem to be as smooth to operate as with the .105. The .155 really holds up though. You can pretty much get through the whole day without changing the pieces of string. I think the Rapid Loader head is pretty nice. No more winding spools. And it is very quick to put three new pieces in the head. Check them out if you guys haven't seen or used one yet.

6. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

has the gator line any good

7. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

When looking at trimmer line make sure you get line with the rating "commercial". There are two main grades of line "professional" and "commercial". The commercial is better. They are a co-polymer (two types of plastic) line. I have been to a trimmer line factory in Arizona. They make line for many different companies and it has a lot do with the chemical make up of the plastic for the big differences. One way I was told to check line out was to make a single small knot in the line. Untie it and see how well the string takes it's original shape. It was amazing to see what it takes to make a plastic line, from the chemical side to the manufacturing side of acutally extruding the plastic, heating and cooling to get the right chemical bond. Another tip on trimmer line. Don't store it for long periods of time. The line acutally dries up and becomes brittle. If you soak it overnight in a pail of water it will help but will dry out over time again.

8. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I heard about the light and heat hurting it, and I keep it the refrigerator. Now I got to worry about it driyng out? LOL

9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

we use .95 and .80. when i use the .95 in the echo it doesn't seem to trim as good as the .80, sometimes the biggest isn't the best(my opinion)

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Gator Magnum line, and to tell you the truth, I'm a little disappointed in it. Not because the line itself, because it's excellent quality. But because it's a little too big for what I like. I always cut with .095, as the .105 is just too blunt for my taste and doesn't get a good clean crisp cut for normal grass conditions. Well, the spool of Gator that I have is .095, but it's about the equivalent to .105 of any other string. Really. It IS bigger than .095. I wish I would have looked a bit clser when I bought it (at a show) and looked at the actual size. Who knows, maybe they just put the wrong sticker on the end of the spool. I guess next time, with Gator line, I'll look at more closer to their .085 size.