1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Struggling!!! Dixie xtreme72" or Hustler SuperZ!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, Apr 4, 2007.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Please help me. I am trying to decide between a Dixie Extreme 72" w/32 generac or a Hustler super Z w 28hp efi.. No other mower suggestions please lets keep it to these 2 machines (engine size suggestions could be good though). I have a lot of larger size props and am buying a new machine (I previously used an exmark 72" lazer w 26hp). Some have some hills which can be wet at times but pretty much are easy weekly mows. Prices are comparible so I am looking most efficient, most sturdy (something to withstand employee abuse), safety and speed. I was also considering a 66" but really like the extra width cause of the time savings. I do use the 72" on my smaller props with not too much difficulty. My hustler dealer is 5min from me but can not gaurantee a loaner (dont think he has anything comparible) if there is downtime w/ the machine he does say that his turn around is about 2-3 days (could be sooner but no garauntees) on repairs. My Dixie dealer is 15 min. from me and is very service oriented. He has a turnaround of 2 days and has a 60" loaner available for use if needed, he also offers 10-15% parts and accessories discounts. I need to buy very soon So PLEASE help!!:confused:
  2. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

I would have to say go with the dixie, i own one right now and i am planning on buying another one, perfect in all conditions, cuts great when it is wet. Very durable machines and dependable. i do not know too much bout the other mower but dixie choppers are amazing in my experiences.
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

IMO neither mower. But out of those 2 I would go hustler all the way. 100% better mower than a dixie will ever be. Only down side is Hustler from my understanding doesnt do well with cool season grass which is what you have in PA just like we have here in MD. I have witnessed a big Dixie cut a lawn next to me in deep thick wet grass and it was leaving 2 strips of uncut grass on ever pass and blowing huge globs of clumps all over the place. I was cutting the exact same conditions on my Tank with no issues what so ever. The dixie also look very cheaply made compared to every other mower I have ever seen. If your heart is really set on just those 2 machines then go hustler all the way.

EDIT: dixieChopper88 no hard feelings? These are just things that I have observed over the years but may not hold true for everybody.
  4. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

Your comparing a dixie with a tank, lol. I've never seen a company run with cubs, i've seen the majority use dixie and scag and hustler. But cubs just run for around the house,lol.
  5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

There are tons of Tanks and Z-TWO's out there. I see them more than I do dixies. I think in my 15 years of doing this work I have seen maybe 5 dixies being used. In those 15 years I have seen 1 Hustler because there is only 1 hustler dealer in MD.
  6. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have had 3 28 efi kohlers and really had good luck with them. I am getting a new lazer tomorrow and i went with a 31 BRIGGS. Probably will regret it but i like hp. I had a72 with a 27 Kohler and thought it was underpowered. You will like the fuel consumption of the efi about .8gph on a 60.I have a 35h BRIGGS on a 72 about 1.8 gph but LOTS of power.
  7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Take the Hustler and you won't have to worry about a loaner. They are a better machine and the efi is a big plus over a Generac. The Dixie has a higher center of gravity and are clumsy on hills compared to the Hustler as well. Both are decent machines, but Hustler is the better choice and I say this from experience.
  8. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I had the dixie extreme 72" with the 32 generac. SSSSUUUUCCCCKKKEEEEDDDD!!!!! Was by far the worst machine I have ever owned. The cut was so bad, and the company verified, after going throug 3 different brand new decks, they finaly gave me a full refund (I applaud dixie on that part after 3 months and 200 hours of use). I bougth a ferris to replace it and am very happy with it. That being said I demoed a hustler diesel mower, just for the heck of it and the end of last year and was very impressed with it as well. Obviously between those two I would choose the hustler. Good luck
  9. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I love my hustler super z.
  10. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get a dixie chopper. I am on my second and bout to add a third on pretty soon. My dealer has given a good support, always has a loner that minute if I need. The dixie chopper to me are good mowers, no fancy flashy parts just plain and simple and are tanks. You can beat them all day and will be ready to go the next day for me. Are you sure the dixie isn't a 33hp? Plus dixie has a new deck which I have on my 07 and never have had to double, I mowed yesterday with it and took off an inch and half and was clean cut, no need to double cut. Plus the extra Hp will help out if you are getting the 72in. If it were me it would be a dixie chopper. Dixie Chopper will only be the ZTR mower on my trailers.