1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stuck Bolt on Belt Shaft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lildog132, Jul 12, 2003.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

the bolts on the blade shaft are stuck. Im using a 15/16 watchet and a wrench, im using the push-bull method. This is not working. Is their any other methods to use? should i buy some power tool that can do this or something? please give me some advice on this. Thanks, chris
  2. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Get you a piece of steel pipe about 3' long, that buger will come right off........Marks Mowing Service
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You are describing the blade bolt aren't you? Is this their first time off? Use a cheater pipe as suggested, or a couple of 24" breaker bars, spray nut area down with some WD40 or similar lubricant and let set for a few minutes first.
    They do not have to be tightened with Herculean strength, maybe similar to a lug nut.
  4. MAy also need a 4" x 4" peice of wood to sop the blade from turning till you can break it loose.
  5. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

6. Soak the bolt in WD-40 or some other penetrating fluid.
    Put tension on the wrench with a bungee cord.
    Let it set overnight.
    I've had to let really tough bolts go as much as 3 days. Eventually it always works.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, I see, the push-bull method has been replaced by the push-cow method. You see, when pushing a bull, they tend to get pi$$ed off and kill you.

Is this a through bolted type spindle? Or is it a just a blade bolt that goes up from the bottom?

Either way, do what LGF said and chock the blade. Use WD-40 and a LONG wrench. That or use air tools.
  8. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen them come into the local weld shop and had to be heated to get removed. More than once. I can't understand this unless these people never take thier blades off causing them to seize on the bolt.
  9. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've had a few where I mauled the bolt head trying to get them out. Grind the head of the bolt off, blades come off relieving the pressure, then rest of bolt will back out.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Last year I hit a hidden stump. It somehow tightened the bolt. We tried a 5' breaker bar. Nothing. Took the spindle off and a friend of mine that owns a tool business took it to work and used a huge impact on it. Came right off. 2200 foot pounds of pressure to get it off. Fortunately it didn't do any damage to the bolt or spindle. Its still running today.