1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stuck in Kombi Hell

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rhett, May 13, 2004.

1. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

First year I used Ryobi Kombi system. Kinda clunky and had to keep lots of parts around to keep going. Second year full time switched to the Stihl KM 85. That is where I thought I was saving money and room, WRONG. I bought one power head, hedge trimmer, weed whacker and the edging attachment . The power head is possessed and has been since day one. Low power, never did run right and hard to start. Thought I would get away with running what I had until could start replacing with individual units. Wrong again. Power head lasted one year, one week and a day. Dang thing came undone this morning, which just happens to be the same day I ordered a new trimmer. Would be one week before I could get the parts to make my old power head limp along. Needless to say I now have a new power head and five hundred in attachments that I am not happy with. If you are just getting going I would highly suggest buying separate units and not putting all of your eggs in one basket.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Probably good advice.........................
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

SO FAR
    I have not had a problem with the stihl split shaft. I will soon be buying a string trimming, Edger, so the split shaft will be my back up.

I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY B.P. BLOWER THOUGH. the thing is 3 months old, and seems to be starving for fuel. I have to take out the fuel filter to see if and debris is clogging it.

4. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Rhet check your PM's
  5. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

All I use my split shaft for is a back up. I just have the edger and trimmer for it. After the starter rope on the edger broke and I had to edge about 500 feet with the trimmer I decided I needed it.