"Stuck in the middle"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simone Lawn Service, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I maintain a local community college's lawn in my city. The property is owned by an investor who lives about two hours away. In fact I've never met the man in person, but he sends a check every month like clockwork, no questions asked. Here's the problem. Parking during school hours is EXTREMELY limited. Often students park in the fire lane all the way out to the street. The schools maintenance man called the other day saying that the school wants me only to mow during off hours which happen to be really off the wall (small time windows). There's no school on Fridays, however the property has to mowed approx. every five days because they have a irrigation system and the property is fertilized regularly :) . I'm already changing my schedule to accomodate them every five days-considering their neighbor (my bread and butter account ) is mowed once every Wednesday. The school has room to add on to the lot, but neither they nor the investor wants to foot the bill...From what I hear of the owner he dosn't seem to care much about the parking problem, And like I said he sends the checks every month like clockwork. I hate having to mow when the students are there, and I try to arrive as early as possible when I mow, but I have to tell the schools administrator that I simply can't work around that schedule, it would be virtually impossible for me. I know some of you guys are pretty gifted with words. Any good ways of saying "Sorry, but there's no way in hell this is going to happen" I don't think I'm being unreasonable am I?
    P.S. I can't park next door due to limited space (and quite a long walk back to the trailer each time I need something.):confused:

2. Stuck be tween a rock and a hard place aint ya?

Either accommodate them, or call the main man and explain the situation, see what the head honcho has to say about it, afterall he is paying the bill. You can then see what you can come up with, or compromise.

3. Is this all about the school's effort to gain the couple of parking spaces you occupy? Or is it also the noise, clippings on the cars, danger to pedestrians etc?

I'd think you need to have a face to face discussion with the school's administration. Assure them you'll be glad to work out any problems they may have with getting their lawn mowed.

It'll give you a chance to explain the facts of lawn care to them. And that any other LCO would have the same problems.
    Then you can tell them some things are just impossible.

Even though you don't technically work for the school you need to be careful. They could give you enough grief to cost you your job.

I believe you're within your rights not to just blindly accept instructions from the janitor. After all, restricted access wasn't specified when you took the job. You should be able to talk to whoever gives these instructions. I wouldn't expect a lot of understanding from them though. They're already trying to dictate how fast the grass is going to grow.

Dave

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Face to face meeting with the man paying the bill. Don't say you can't do it, but don't say you can, unless you can come up with a mowing schedule you believe you can accomodate.

You can work this out.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You are going to have to do something. I would start with the man paying the bills and go from there. The most important thing to remember is that you will have to satisfy three different groups. The groups you will have to satisfy are the school, the investor and yourself to make this work out. Don't be bashful but be nice and reach a compromise.

Gravely_Man

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

First suggestion is to cut back on the use of Nitrogen. Then you could mow every 7 days. Also cut back on irrigation use. You really don't need much water when the highs barely reach the 80's. Another suggestion is Growth Regs. tell them these are the ONLY solutions. Then show them the price for the growth regs. Big money. They will likely slow down the irrigation. Good luck.