stuck in the mud

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mindset063, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mindset063

mindset063 LawnSite Member

I got my exmark stuck in the mud today :hammerhead: Luckily it was at my brother's house. I was doing a spring clean-up and he has a burn pile in the back. I was driving back there and drove over a mud pit that was covered by leaves. It was such a pain in the a@@ to get it out. I had to dig and dig to get a jack under it. I finaly got it out after 2 hrs. Needles to say, that was my last trip to the back yard with the exmark!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is for anybody who has a lawnmower other than a 21"...

Buy yourself a long tow or tree rope (at least 100 feet) and put it in your truckbox so you can use the truck to pull it out.
    If you don't have a really strong tow rope, what are you going to do the day that bad boy slides into a steep muddy ditch, you may never get it out and waste your whole day trying while the rest of your lawns on the schedule wait, and wait, and wait...

Btw, with the rope it takes around 20 minutes to pull a Wb out.

3. oasislawns

oasislawns LawnSite Member

Almost got my Exmark stuck in a customers ditch today. Thanks to some nifty driving it came out, but barely. I had to get the rake and rake some dead grass over the ruts but it looked ok when I was done. Push mowers work pretty well for the muddy and wet spots if they are not too big. Sure beats pulling the Z out with the truck.

4. jd6323

jd6323 LawnSite Member

5. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

a come along winch with some tow straps works perfect and they are relatively cheap. i just keep one in the toolbox, also comes in handy for ripping out small trees like sago palms or shrubs.

6. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

I have gotten stuck twice. Each time I broke out one of those tie-down straps with the little "come-a-long" attached. Was out in 15 minutes. Got the straps for $20 at Lowes. Well worth it!

7. S3Scooter

S3Scooter LawnSite Member

Stuck twice today. Things are pretty soft after all that rain, But I can't stop with more in the forcast.

I always keep it with me any ways, but you planted the seed.

S3:drinkup:

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

2 ton winch on the front of the truck does a dandy job to :).

Jeff

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I got stuck in my back yard yesterday. I have a section on the outside of my fence that has a big drop off to some railroad tracks. Well I was trying to cut close to the drop off and one tire started to slide. Thankfully there are tree's to stop the mower from falling.

Anyway, the utility pole was near by so I just grabbed my come-along and some chain and pulled it right out. Everyone should have a set of these. You can't always get your truck were you need to go. Especially when it is wet out which is the case most of the time when you get stuck.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it has been raining a lot, the next 24 hours are a real trick...
    It helps to pick those yards you know have the least trick spots for the first day, leave the royal pitas for 48 hours of sunshine later (if you can). Haven't had mine stuck in about 2 years, so it gets better with time thou the other day I left a couple small ruts :cry:
    But yeah, those mowers are heavy SOB's ain't they?

Some things that have helped me:
    1) Step off the velke in those trick spots, and walk the mower across.
    2) Build up to TOP speed before hitting the spot, then as you hit it, reduce speed as you go across, sort of like coasting (careful how fast you let speed go, you do need to get to the other side). Shaving speed reduces tire spin.
    3) Push the mower some as you go across, help it along.
    4) Lower gears (1st or 2nd) can help as well.