Stuck Mower Blade

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pglandscapers, Apr 24, 2010.

1. pglandscapers

pglandscapers LawnSite Member

The mower blade is stuck on my Bob Cat zero turn. I have tried everything I could think of(penetrating oil, tapping, impact wrench, wood and a braker bar). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If it is the kind of spindle that the bolt goes all the way thru and the nut is on the top.....cut the bolt. First I would try running the unit until it gets hot then try it again with longer breaker bar.

3. anotherturfgeek

anotherturfgeek LawnSite Member

You can heat up the nut with a torch, get it glowing and should come off. (its less expensive)

Don't overtighten next time....

4. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Block the blade off, then get a long thick pipe and put it on your breaker bar. The longer the better. If that doesn't work, try heating it with a torch. You could try and borrow a 3/4 or 1 inch impact from somewhere. Else cut it off and replace the spindle bolt.

5. pglandscapers

pglandscapers LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. Tried heating it with no luck, going to cut it off.

I guess this is just part of buying something used, you never know what the previous owner has done.

6. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had to take my new scagg tt back to dealer and they used a very high powerd air gun.

7. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

You actually will only need to put a cut in the washer, once that is done it will release the presure.

8. anotherturfgeek

anotherturfgeek LawnSite Member

It is really a good idea to use a torque wrench. When you service the blades as much as we do. The torque values are in the manual for your mower if availiable.

9. grasshog08

grasshog08 LawnSite Member

i put anti seize, no problems

10. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I like how neither of these replies help. He stated that he bought the mower used and that it was the first time removing the blades.