Stuck oil filter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mmacsek, Oct 4, 2003.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deere 318 garden tractor that I tried to change the transmission oil on today. The problem came when I tried to get the filter off. The filter collapsed and won't budge. I tried the screwdriver through the filter but that only tore it up. My question is, Are there any tricks to get this thing off? A special tool or technique. It is a JD filter. Any help would be appreciated. I don't use this for my business but it is still frustrating. Thanks Matt

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Can you get some big chanel locks on it? That always works for me, or if you could get a filter strap wrench, it may work if you can not get to it with the chanel locks.

Jay

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

strap wrench almost seems to be made for this very problem

4. mmacsek

I'll try the big channel locks. I tried the strap wrench made for oil filters. I broke 2 of them. Thanks alot guys. Matt

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I use oil filter pliers and they always seem to work fine.. They do flatten out the filter at the contact points, but that seems to make it grip better.. I think the Hydro fluid gets so hot that the filter gaskets kinda stick to the base and filter... They also have sockets for oil filters this may be an idea for next time...I too never had good luck with those metal band wrenches for oil filters always slip too much

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

The oil filter pliers allow you to get into tight areas, unlike the channel locks...

7. mmacsek

I bought a pair of the filter pliers today before I raed your post. I will try them out this week and let everyone know how I made out. I don't use this for my business. We have 2 acres and work/play on the weekends. Thanks so much for the help. Matt

8. mmacsek

I just wanted to follow up about the stuck filter. I got it off today. The oil filter pliers worked great!! What a difference a clean filter and oil makes. I got this tractor at an auction. Thanks again. Matt