Stuck on a blocking utility box

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnboy, May 16, 2005.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a brain cramp here. The lawn we are working on has a utility box out front about 5 ft off the road. The lady wants to block that area. My idea was to mount the area and fade the sides out toward the road, with some taller grasses and boulders inside. Any thoughts? Or pictures of things other people have done to block things such as this? Thanks guys
  2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

What's the size of the box? I've seen some taller than others. Is it one of the rectangular ones? Or a blocky, square one? I've surrounded a 500 gallon propane tank at my place with a white picket fence and planted around it with shrubs and perennials. It fades totally into the garden unless you are right on top of it.
  3. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

Great idea, what we've done in our area is use a picket fences or lattice,etc. on three sides of the obstruction (that way if and when they come out to work on it they can still get to it without tearing crap up) and plant climbing rose bushes or vines to grow up the structure. Just leave the one open side facing somewhere you don't care about.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Not allowed to block the box, have to let the repairmen get to it and have room to work. So always plant something that they don't get p!ssed off trying to work around and they won't report it.
    Grasses work great.
  5. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

its one of those box looking ones. It is like 3ft tall. What we have done so far is bermed it up and faded it toward the road. I planted some Zebra grasses on the backside, and a bunch of perineals in the front. Put a couple boulders in it. I need a evergreen shrub in front of utitlity box. I guess what the question is: I get this question all the time, does anyone have anyother ideas for blocking poles and/or utility box? thanks
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Here it is again..YOU CAN'T BLOCK UTILITY BOXES IN ANY WAY,most have an 8' to 10' clearence you have to maintain.Some of them have doors that swing that far out on each side.You can get in trouble,fined or they will just rip out whatever you planted.I will see about resizing a few pics I have of what I've done,sometimes I am not so good at that though.
  7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand that the utility co. doesn't want the access to the box blocked. That's why I suggested a fence (of course, with a gate). But if the homeowner wants the view of it blocked from the in-the-house or in-the-yard perspective, it's hard to think that the utility would object (the openings of boxes in my clients' yards face the street). Probably the most sensible thing to do would be to call the utility and get the specifics on their right of way regulations and take it from there.