1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stuck throttle on a 15hp kawi?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Palmer'sLS, May 22, 2006.

1. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

hi all.....slight problem....the aforementioned motor has not been able to be controlled by the actual lever on my w/b. So i decided today to lube it up...but that didnt fix the problem...now it wont start(due to lack of control lever)...also the controls that the lever work arre pretty much stuck in the "choke" position...any help is greatly appreciated....sorry if its confusing..
  2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

is it the cable thats stuck, or the butterfly in the carb? if its the cables, i take them off and soak motor oil on the wire at the end, hang it up so it'll run down inside. if its a cable that is not covered in plastic, squirt some oil all down the length of the cable. just keep working it in until its smooth as silk. ive always done this with motor oil, seems to lube up the cable without running out like a penetrant.
    if its in the carb itself, soak everything down with PB Blaster penetrant. soak it good, and GENTLY work it with your fingers...or very easily with pliers. break the throttle shaft and you'll buy a $200 plus carb.
  3. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

no....its the actual levers that the cable controls....beneath the air filter...they are stuck....im gonna try to keep puttin this oil/lubricant on the whole setup...maybe it will work
  4. oldgreygox33

oldgreygox33 LawnSite Member

Carburetor needs to be removed, disassembled, and soaked in carb cleaner for 20-30 min. Removed from cleaner and work butterfly shaft until it moves freely. Make sure all orifices are open and clear by spraying gummout carb cleaner through all openings throughout the carb. Spray it into all orifices & see it come out another. Re-assemble, remount & connect.