stuck valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Jul 18, 2010.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I have place that has been having a lot of valves geting stuck. The valves are 2" hardie/irritrol that are probanly 15 to 20 years old. For the past month there has been 5 or 6 valves sticking on. The water source is a well. When I open up the valve I don't find any debris and the diaphrams and seats don't have any damage. The only thing I saw that looked suspect was the tips of the solenoid plungers were dented so I replaced them. Would that cause intermitent valve sticking? Its just wierd that it is happening to so many valves at once.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are the flow controls throttled down? These are the grey valves?
  3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

It's possible. A 20 year old 2" valve is pretty old.

Usually the diaphragm is going bad when there is intermittent sticking. As well higher water pressure will take a faster toll on the valve. But it could be a number of things. Are you ohm-ing out the solenoid before you replace?

Are you replacing the solenoid, gut swapping or the entire valve?
  4. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

I had a system that we changed over from city to well water and almost all 15 valves crapped on me shortly thereafter. Has there been a new pump or any changes to the supply?
  5. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be that the diaphragm material is at it's end of life (EOL) and all valves are affected at same time.

Or something in the well water has changed and affected the diaphragms. Do the diaphrams feels extra slimey or chalky?

Another possibility: Low water pressure in the area has the borderline diaphragms unable to shut off. New springs or stretch the old ones might help.
  6. Somethings Happening
    What it is I don't know
  7. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Better stop now,
    What's that jam
    Everybody replace
    that diaphragm
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

And getting a lot older this summer then the last 3 combined.
  9. There's battle lines being drawn
    Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
    Captain Eddie speakin his mind
    Getting so much resistance from behind
  10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Stop now
    Put on some salve
    Everyone replace
    That electric valve