STUCK ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jan 3, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i have 3.5 acres of field of my own to cut this usally
    is damp in sprig & fall and i seem to get it stuck some
    times i use a metal fence post to lift wheels out and over.
    i see ztrs mowing right after a heavy rain is this me just
    geting stuck or do you pro's get stuck

2. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

Here in FL. if your not stirrin' up dust,you're gettin stuuck on the same properties.Either to wet or to dry,nothin in the middle!

3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

My Dixie chopper does real good in the soft spots,I was surprised at how far it went without getting stuck,maybe you need a wider,more aggessive tire,or stay out of the area a little longer.I think abou the only thing that wont get stuck where you are is a steiner,with 4x4 and duals all the way around,it'll just about float on water.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with John, the Boss 2 tires that come on a Dixie Chopper are great in soft places. My new diesel has even bigger tires than John has. I have one with 22x11x8 like John and the diesel has 25x12x9 and I went all season without getting stuck. I have been stuck here, but not since I got Boss 2 tires.

6. rdh

Greenskeeper... yes it is flat except pond bank never got stuck their slid down once (kind of scary)
    The field has wet areas for a few days after it rains but if I dont mow these areas it would need bushhogged as fast as it grows.

Just checked my back tires... are Carlisle turf savers 23 X 10.5 X 12 factory I did notice Toro, scag, and exmark have bigger front tires than they used to, does that help, mine are 13 X 5, is Dixie’s bigger?

When I checked my tires they were almost flat... should I air them or not worry about it, they have never been this low.

7. Eric ELM

I would either air them up or block up the frame so the machine doesn't sit on flat or low tires. The front tires on a Dixie Chopper are 13 x 6.50-6.00, so Dixie Chopper's front tires are wider.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 01-04-2001 at 11:36 AM]

8. rdh

thanks eric i had just got done putting air in them after reading your post.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My Grasshoppers usually get stuck at least once a year. I now carry a 30' tow strap in the truck. I also made a wire fitting that by-passes the seat safty switch, so you don't have to be sitting on the mower to make it go forword. I only use this fitting when I'm stuck.

10. Eric ELM

I was thinking of the old sized tires on a Dixie Chopper, the new front tires are 13 x 6.50-6.00 and I changed that on the above post. I just wanted to post this so it will bring it back up to the top so you can see this in case you were looking for wider tires for the front. If you have 7/8 inch of clearance on each side of your tire now, these should fit inside the forks of your machine too. These tires fit on the same rim as the 5" tire. An extra 1.5" on each side sure helps hold it up in soft areas. The tires on the back of my diesel DC are 1 inch wider and 3 inches taller, which also helps. I hope this helps.