Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kends, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Kends

Kends LawnSite Member

Don't know if you remember...I posted a thread a month ago about a less than 3 acre retention pond. Thanks to you guys I won the job.

On to the problem. It's a retention pond. I'm by myself. 48" Exmark Hydro. I sunk! No way to get it out myself. I knew it was wet in some areas, but this spot got me by suprise.

Thank God one of my friends drove by and gave me a hand (after a good ripping on, of course).

What's the best way to pull a mower out? I was just about ready to run and get a chain and/or a strap and drive my truck over to pull it (it was close to the road). Can you put a chain or strap around the spindle, and not damage anything?

Help is appreciated.

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow a few of these ...and getting stuck (god I hate weed wacking around this sucker!!) happens ....just don't sink her ...any ways I use a 60" ztr ....and my walker pulled her with the left tire up to the top of rim in soft mud .... just a long rope around the front caster ..;->

[Edited by theleven on 04-12-2001 at 10:52 PM]
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I would not pull by the spindle. Try the frame.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Hook it to the frame. I carry a 30' toe strap with me at all times. If I need something longer, I have a 150' chain (real heavy) at home. I usually get stuck once or twice a year!
  5. Kends

Kends LawnSite Member

I'm new at this. I think I meant one of the front spindles. Is that okay? The way things were I wouldn't have been able to get to the frame in the back.

let me know. I'm sure I'll do it again. Next time I'll take pictures and show you guys. :)
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I pulled my helper out today at the very back of a wooded lot. I just used my diesel DC to pull him out. I hook to the front bumper of the stuck one and to the hitch of the towing Chopper.

If you have any trees around, a rachet type winch (come a long) works good.
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow one house on a canal and got too brave one time and in I went. I think about this everytime I even get close to a canal. Not fun!
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

kent im assuming you mean front castors when you say spindles.hope you didnt get water in the motor and luck to ya
  9. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

Last weekend I got my Great Dane Scamper stuck in a 3 foot deep canal. I called my budy who used his Surfer to try to pull me out. It didn't work. I started the mower and put it in reverse and pulled while my budy pushed. We got it out.