1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Student trying to learn a little

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by jst171, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jst171

jst171 LawnSite Member

I'm a graduate student doing research on the landscaping industry.

I have a material, brown fiber board, which is quite strong and durable and I'm curious if anyone here believes there are some applications for it within the industry. Properties include:
    • strong enough for some structural work
    • long term biodegradable
    • environmentally friendly materials
    • available in a variety of shapes and sizes - currently offered in cylindrical drums or boxes
    Any feedback you can provide as to desired properties, shapes, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any problem areas that you struggle with in general, even if you don't think it applies would be very helpful.

2. NJlandscaper908

NJlandscaper908 LawnSite Member

If it was offered in 2x4 kind of boards it could be used to form out concrete patios and sidewalks.
  3. jst171

jst171 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your response. I've been getting a lot of feedback for the concrete forming applications you mentioned. Could you offer some insight to what currently is used for concrete forming?
  4. NJlandscaper908

NJlandscaper908 LawnSite Member

Just regular 2x4's maybe 2x6 or 2x8 depending on the application but those are all the standard. Guys usually re-use them so unless there was an economic benefit to using the fiber board only once and maybe leaving it in to decompose it would be a tough sell.