study on mowing short

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by mrkosar, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

does anyone know of a study that proves that mowing the lawn low actually makes the grass grow quicker?

i once read this somewhere, but can't remember where. i would like to send this to a few of my idiot customers who whack their lawns to the dirt.

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

depends on the lawn. From what I understand if you keep a bermuda lawn short instead of growing up it will grow out. Fescue will only get hurt, it doesn't really grow out at all, it needs to grow up.

3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

heres something on fescue.

Attached Files:

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

i dont have a study, but i can say with certainty that if you cut the grass we have short it looks like shite, the 2 inch mow will make a sand lot in no time, 4 inches and your going to be green all the time, that also means some extra cuts on the first couple of mows

6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

it all depends on the lawn of course. My lawn is a rug in every way. You step on it and nothing goes above the bottom of your shoe. Other lawns like mine are about 2 in avg. I use a reel, lot more maintenance but boy does it look good. Once I get it sanded it will be perfect.

7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

8. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member