Stuff is everywhere, ID help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BikePilot, May 7, 2014.

1. BikePilot

BikePilot LawnSite Member

Got this stuff coming up everywhere. Need help verifying what it is plz.

Thanks

image.jpg

2. BikePilot

One more. Ipad not cooperating

image.jpg

3. officerturner

officerturner LawnSite Member

Looks like foxtail grass to me
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Yellow or green foxtail.
    Drive XLR8 with MSO will burn it down. Spot spraying because Drive is pricey unless you can get the customer to swing it. At 1/2 gallon per acre......at around 175.00 a gallon.
    This is another reason why I wish MSMA were back on the residential labels.
    Properly timed Simazine in the fall and in the early Spring will ****** germination, but this season was horrible with getting it out on time.
    Price of product will vary from area to area.

6. Think Green

Moderator's why did the word R E T A R D not appear on my post.?
    Is there a more appropriate word you choose for lessen or hasten germination?

7. Think Green

Furthermore,
    That weed is in full force seed production. It will take some time for the Drive to activate and stop it from growing.
    It will become chlorotic and faded at first.....then cease to grow.

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Hehem...There is no freakin way him being in western Tennessee that there is Foxtail that advanced that it would be in full seed production. Hell, crabgrass is just now at the 5-6 leaf stage here and he's further north than me. Foxtail will not be at that stage of development for another 8-10 weeks at least...in my area...a little later for him

I believe fl landscapes hit the nail on the head...my vote...Little Barley.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If this is in a bermuda or zoysia lawn, a sulfonylurea herbicide will also work. Cost is about $100 per acre.

10. BikePilot

I am still relatively new to western TN and where I moved from we did not have pressure from this weed. I have thought it is foxtail since I started treating in this area but with the timing based on what some of you have shared and a little reading foxtail wouldnt be this far along. I had never heard of Little Barley but if sure does favor this. One location I thought I got it knocked out last year but this year it is spread more than ever. Based on article roundup is only way to get rid of this.

Greendoc, you made me do some reading!!! As for Sulfonylurea herbicides are you saying this looks like Little Barley and this type herbicide will kill it rather than using roundup? I sprayed one yard with Manor so we shall see how it works.