Stump Grinder Attachment

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by JDSKIDSTEER, Apr 2, 2008.

1. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone used a stump grinder attachment on their loader and how did you like it? We sell Shaver for tractors and repo'd one for a skid steer that had never been used and would like to know how good they work.

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I had asked this question last year as I would also like to know. My thoughts were that a high flow stump grinder might make some money. I have never spoke to anyone that had one. Is the Shaver High Flow? I am picking up an attachment in Fl. maybe we can through it on in Huntsville.

3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I'm demoing a high flow CAT grinder this week. Will post my thoughts..

4. JDSKIDSTEER

Shaver rep. actually recommended regular flow over high flow. He said it actually did a better job. Don't figure. Let me know if you can stop by. We can see how it works. I let you play on one of our new E/H units that came in yesterday. I been so busy I have not had time to play on them. Just got back from the factory yeserday.

5. JDSKIDSTEER

Cool. Let me know.

6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I was very impressed with the power and torque of the CAT 18b grinder. It has swing, tilt, and extension capabilities. Uses all my hydraulic connections plus the electrical connection, seems to be heavy built, and made short work of very large stumps. I have grinded stumps with a brush mower which I think is faster at just milling the stumps but brush mowers won't go but to grade or slightly below. I grinded some very large live oak stumps that were very hard and went down 6-8 inches. Did one stump that was about 47in across and 3 in the 19-24 inch range in one hour. My first time with the attachment so i was trying to figure out all the controls but did it throw some chips. I have a video to review and if I don't look like a complete noob, I might post it! :)

7. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the bobcat hiflow i believe 6g grinder. I liked it allot but it is def. not as fast as the cat grinder. I have plenty of 24-36 in oak stumps and they took 45 min. each to go down 10 inches and chase the roots.

I too think there must be money in grinding, but at 8k for a grinder and 30+ for a hiflow machine you need to find allot of work to be profitable.

8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I don't (can't) approach stump grinding as a stand alone service. At least not yet. I used to be like a lot of other guys. Anything and everything on the business card. I now try and limit my services to supporting arborists and land clearing. I do some roads too but thought that an attachment like the stump grinder would fit nice with brush mowers, tree shear, grapple and big chipper. I have always milled my stumps with brush mower but they didn't go low enough except when I ran the Tushhog which would mill slightly below grade. I don't like putting my brush mower teeth into the dirt if I can help it and since my CAT mulcher doesn't grind all that low, I thought the stump grinder was a good choice. I need a lot of practice but there is no denying it is and can be a very productive machine. I have watched walk behind, tow behind, and self propelled machines and this setup looks to be every bit as fast even if I need a lot of practice. There are a lot buttons to push in the right order!

Another thing for me is I personally am not going after residential or just a stump or two. I am looking for the larger scale grinding areas and with all the oak wilt and mini ranches in S. Texas, I should have a market (which I researched and it showed me there was).

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

What are they pricing it at in your guys areas. I think it was going for a per inch cost here. I cant remember what the number was. If it takes about an hour to do a 24-36 inch stump. I would think you would need to be $100 plus an hour. I curious how guys are bidding this work.

10. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I know of a few guys who have run the Pro75SS made by Craft Machine Design (Formerly Miller Stumpgrinders) out of Indiana. they had many good things to say about them. One guy I know runs one on his CAT 287 and he used to own the CAT branded stumpgrinder. he said it was more productive and controlled the chips better. I don't know what the pricing is like, but Miller Stumpgrinders have been around quite awhile. They must have been bought out by Craft Machine Design or changed their name.