1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

stump grinder info

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JCLawn and more, Oct 12, 2010.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

ok, I am looking at getting into this. I am looking at a walk behind model 5hp-25hp. What is good, and what is bad? What do you charge? and how? What is the cost used for these little buggers?

2. JCLawn and more

from MI

bump, anyone?

3. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

i been thinking of this too...i've seen some in a Northern Tool catalog...they have honda engines in 3 different sizes...starting at $2000 and up....others i've seen are a DR version for $2000 as well and a husqvarna version that was $4000 on their website...the honda engine ones would be great....the smallest one is a 5.5hp engine...and the others are bigger...i have no experience with them so i'm not sure if 5.5hp is enough or if it would bog down on bigger stumps for example....the bigger versions were quite a bit more like around $3000 for the middle one and $4000 for the biggest engine...i have seen some tree guys around but they have the huge stump grinders that are hauled like a trailer behind a truck...they cost a whole lot more i'm sure...probably faster for sure but can't fit them in tight spaces or in backyards with gates/fences and such...the normal rate around here is like $50-$100 a stump depending on the size of it

4. I rented a small one like your describing and it beat the crap out of me using it. I see why they have the bigger ones easier and faster to use.

5. kilgoja

yeah i imagine it would be something similar to running a garden tiller lol

i think they have like a brake thing you lock down on one wheel and you just work it side to side

6. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.amazon.com/Bluebird-Stump-Grinder-390CC-SG1314A/dp/B000RO7S9A

I rented/used one of these last month & it about beat me to death! No self propel, Heavy to pull around on hilly areas. It did the job but was time consuming, rough pulling over grindings, have to pull it back, yard out, rush it back in. Has a lever to lock in one wheel while grinding.

I watched the DR video and it looked like it did a good job

7. RoyalTree

RoyalTree LawnSite Member

Do yourself a favor and look for something used like a vermeer 252 or comporable model. We have used small 13 hp models like the ones you describe, beats you up to no end and is very inefficient. The small ones are really only made to be used in very small spots where nothing bigger fits, in my opinion. We use a 100 hp machine for regular work and a small 25 hp 252 for tight spots.

If you want to find a nich look into a real small machine that can go ANYWHERE. Places where normal grinders cant go fetch a BIG premium.

Look into an Alpine Magnum grinder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvrR0ZF8BwM

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  8. kilgoja

9. JCLawn and more

from MI

what the price on that? That looks like what I am looking for.

10. kilgoja