stump grinder on mini skid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowin4$, Jan 20, 2007.

1. mowin4$

mowin4$ LawnSite Member

has anyone used one.i own a dingo and thinking about getting one.i like the one by terra power.they build them for ditch witch.i don't think i like the one offered by toro as much. terra's operates like a regular grinder sweeping left & right (forward facing) & toro's is mounted sideways and the sweep motion is controled by the bucket control lever on the dingo. any info would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. Dingolee1

Dingolee1 LawnSite Member

I would try both. If you have any questions please call. I will give any info i can. I have used both and have access to both.

3. mowin4$

mowin4$ LawnSite Member

which one did you like better?any advantages from one to the other?i'm just looking to keep my dingo busy.i've networked w/ other tree co's & lawn co's and it seems like i could do very well W/ this.then maybe i could cut back on my mowing .starting to have hand problems.thanks

4. BlakeReeder

BlakeReeder LawnSite Member

I have used the ditch witch one and love it. I think that it works as well as a rayco. I have grinded stumps as big as 3' in diameter. try that with the dingo! Go with the ditch witch for sure

5. mowin4$

mowin4$ LawnSite Member

i found out thru terra power equip. that they make the grinder for ditch witch.
    do you own one or rent it as needed?on average,how long does it take to grind a stump thats 20-24inches?i know there is a lot of varibles such as kind of tree,how deep,size,etc.around here the going rate is@ 2.50-3.50/inch.one tree co. said that they charge 5.00/ inch and that is after they cut down your tree.they will not go to your house just to grind a stump.thats where they will give my # to the customer for me to go and do it.they turn a lot of work like that away.

6. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the ditch witch one its great. Only problem I have had is a broken hydro. hose. Not the parts fault it was all me. Ran into it with the bobcat with the snowblower going. Not a big fan of toro.

7. mowin4$

mowin4$ LawnSite Member

how long have you had it?i demoed one and i ground 2 stumps w/ it.it did very well.how is it on stumps 30" and larger?i've used a carlton 2500 before and this grinder was pretty close to the speed of the 2500.granted , the stumps were only 14" & 12".i would like to grind a 36" to guage the time compared to the 2500 i used.

8. NMS0219

I have had it for just over 2 years now. Does well on the larger stumps 30" and bigger. Used it yesterday on a 5 foot willow stump. Been using it alot since the october storm we had. Mostly on big stuff. I just put new teeth on it last week. I cant really compare it to anything because it is the first grinder I have owned. But I will say that it is way over built. Real solid machine

9. mowin4$

mowin4$ LawnSite Member

what is the going rate?it sounds like everyone is different.one company i will be getting referals from charge 5.00/inch.others are 3.00.ive heard of guys doing it by the hour. if you had to charge by the hour because of grinding out a lot of bushes or an odd job,what would be a fair price , while being able to make money?

10. NMS0219

I charge by the inch $3.50-4.75 depending on the job. I also have a min. charge of $80