1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stump Grinder Pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DeLoreanDMC81, Mar 4, 2006.

1. DeLoreanDMC81

DeLoreanDMC81 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, my dad and I are going into business for ourselves and we would really like to know what would be a good rate to charge people for grinding out stumps? We own a 2001 Vermeer SC252 stump grinder and we'd just like to get an idea of what to charge for our services? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

2. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I think my sub gets $6 an inch.
  3. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

$2.00 an inch here. That is what I pay. They charge homeowners more.
  4. jhoneycutt

jhoneycutt LawnSite Member

1.50 is the rate here
  5. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

Many people charge by the inch as mentioned above and will vary depending on the local competition. You need to have a minimum set up charge when dealing with small stumps or extended travel time for a single stump.
  6. DeLoreanDMC81

DeLoreanDMC81 LawnSite Member

So are you guys saying to just charge a certain amount for every inch of the stump? Would you also have some sort of show up fee and then charge for the stump grinding? Or just charge for the stump grinding and leave it at that?

Thanks again!!

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Going rate is 1 buck to dollar fifty per inch a friend got some done a few weeks ago for like 45 cents.
  8. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

Charge by the hour ,pricing by the inch is wrong as 2 12'' stumps are less in area than a 1 24'' stump..

The trick is to price by the hour but don't tell your customer,now this will take a bit of experience to get right,just give your clients a fixed price,over here in the uk $50-100 per hour is about right..

This works for me ,if you need anymore advise try the guys on here www.arboristsite.com large equipment forum
  9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Many factors go into pricing a stump job. My very basic price is a drop fee plus a price per stump.
  10. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

With your 252 you may be better off grinding per hour on larger jobs, and for the small ones per inch. If you had a big machine then you'd do well to price everything per inch.

Math goes like this IMO on per inch vs. hourly.

Hourly: 1 hr = $100? x 8 hours (full day)= $800 per day TOPS
    Per inch: Big machines can bang out a 36" stump in under 10 min. 36 x 4? (dollars per inch) = $144. Let's say you can do 4 like that in an hour to be conservative. That's gonna be $576 per hour. Even if you give them a break and say $500 for that hour. $500 per hour x 4 hrs? (1/2 day) = $2,000 (conservative)

Which would you rather do?