Stump Grinders

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Cut 2 Please, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a stump grinder. I am tired of going and renting grinders that are junk. It seems that every time I rent one it has some sort of problem. The one I rented Friday the engine was worn out and had no compression. I am looking at buying and do not know which route to go.
    I like the Rayco 1625. It is a nice compact machine that will go through a 36" gate.
    I am also considering getting one that will go on the front of a skid steer.
    I also like the idea of the ones that go on the mini skid steers.
    What is everyone using and what are you finding works best for you?

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

First I think you should decide if you are going to be removing a lot of stumps or just the occasional one in a customers lawn. You will find that the attachment type will do all sizes of stumps but the efficency of these types aint what it needs to be. I use an attachment that fits on the front of my Ventrac that does pretty well. I have ground stumps as large as 6 to 8 ft in diameter. While it will do this on an ocassional basis, I wouldnt want to rely on it for full time stump removal. Horse power does make a huge difference in the capabilities of the machine. I use the exact same grinding attachment on a 20hp steiner and the 31hp turbo desiel Ventrac. Needles to say there is a huge difference in the performance of the two machines. The tiller type grinders will work on any size stump, if you have the muscle to use them. Meaning they are real backbreakers. I havent used a skidsteer attachment but I think the same rules would apply, The more hp the faster the work. I have used the Rayco 4wd 65hp machines and there is a real performance difference. Of ocourse those machines are $30000+ peices of equipment and they should out perform an attachment type machine. It all depends on the type of work you are going to be doing. An occasional stump you can get by just fine with the tiller type, plus they wont bust the budget, full time stumpgrinding might mean the bigger faster Rayco type machines. The attachment types are for those jobs inbetween occassional and full time. The jr. machines like the rayco 1625 are good machines but they arenot as fast as some as the bigger attachment types for skidsteers. If you dont already own a skidsteer the 1625 might make a good choice but if you do own a bigger skidsteer, I would probably go for the skidsteer attachment. The attachment would also probably be cheaper than the 1625. My attachment for the Ventrac will out perform the 1625 and other similar machines. Side by side tests between the two. If the 1625 had a bigger engine the results would be different.

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I own and operate a Vermeer SC502. Its a 50hp deisel tow behind and is a very good all around grinder. If your just starting out, might look at a smaller unit, get your name out there and then buy a larger machine.

If i buy a larger machine, my 502 will be for sale.

Ivan destruction 009.jpg

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have much to add, other than try asking and searching around over on Arboristsite. There's a lot of good info and knowledge there!

Dan

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Look into the Rayco RG 50. One heck of a machine, and it will get into some tight places. If you are looking into a 1625, and want to travel, PM me. I'll make you a deal on one that is sitting idle in the shop...

6. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

i have checked out stumpers that mount on skid-steers imo there good for nothing to big to slow to underpowerd,if you start stump grinding seriously you will soon find you need more than one machine you will need a large stumper like a rg 50 for the big stumps and a small stumper for the tight spots a machine like an rg 12 or a rg 20 hd.i have been stumgrinding for 10 years try and buy new stumpgrinding is hard on engines ,bearings etc nothing worse than buying a machine and then haveing to spend thousands on it ..again imo a good alround machine for a begginer to stump grinding would be a vermeer 252