1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stump grinding in a lawncare biz?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jul 27, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

was looking to get a piece of equipment that's alittle different then the average lawnboys have. Not lawn equipment, but something else..... i was looking at a Blue Bird stump grinder, and was thinking about the money you can make with this machine. It would be like dollars spitting out of those teeth!! anyone have a stump grinder and do you make good money with it. The tag on it new said $3000. the tree guys here charge rediculous money for that stuff. They get like $200 and up for about a 15 minute job, and leave the chippings ther as "mulch":rolleyes: , no hauling away..... what do you think?
  2. fga

here's a pic of one although the one in the store today looked bigger?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The tree guys spent a lot more than $3000 for their grinder. How much time will it take you to do that 15 min job. Get off a grass job- drive back to the shop and swap trailers- drive to the stump job-grind away-drive back to shop and get other trailer and start cutting again. And all that time your mower is not making money. Just a thought.
  4. fga

i don't cut everyday. tuesday to friday most of the time, or monday to thursday if i have a really big job over the weekend. But i leave a day or 2 open during the week for family outings or side jobs. So a day when i'm home, i could bang a little solo grindpayup
  5. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

i think it's a great idea..get a good stump grinder,load it on the trailer the days u will need it, and make money
  6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is a good idea if you think there is enough demand for it. Just make sure the machine will eventually be able to pay for itself:)

We don't own one but have rented several different units. If you are grinding larger stumps, you may want to consider a larger unit. Probably not worth the price difference (don't know the exact difference), but a hydraulic controlled unit is a heck of a lot easier to grind with on larger stumps. Just move the levers back and forth:)

7. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

What I do is sub out money in my pocket no work no grinder let the tree guy handle it.
  8. fga

I love tools though!:) especially a tool like this where you going have chips flying and leave a dramatic difference when you leave.
  9. fga

that a huge machine, I wouldn't need on that big. But there is a demand for it here. Just recently, the city has been putting in Bradford Pear trees for curb trees. But before that, they always used maples, and oaks, and sycamore. people are always worried about there sidewalks being pushed up by these roots, which you get a huge fine for (damn city!! ,plants them, then summons you for the damage they do????) Not to mention these roots taking over front lawns, very common. In a small city lawn, the roots are a pain in the @ss.
  10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have rented the walk behind units and they work great. The big stumps I have sub do them. Although they don't clean up I usually do. If I was to get a machine I would look at a bigger unit. We demo a VerMeer grinder. It went b/t gates well, it chipped great, only thing it only came with a 25 Briggs. They say they have had bad luck with Kawa & Honda.

I didn't buy it, I'm still renting. Hard to justify price but if you can do b/c of demand, go for it!!