Stump Grinding Or Stump Removle?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tomv420, Feb 18, 2005.

1. tomv420

tomv420 LawnSite Member

Im not sure if i should add stump grinding or stump removel to my businnes. I was told by a friend that if you grind a stump after a few years it could create a dangerious sink hole were little kids could get hurt or die. I would love to hear what you have to say about this.

2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i have never heard that....i dont grind stumps or cut trees...but i had a huge maple cut in my back yard 3 years ago. they grinded as much as they could, but not even 10% of the whole thing.....

the area is still raised a little bit to this day. i'd guess eventually it will decompose and turn into vitamins for the ground, but i'd guess it would take years....then, i'd just put some fill dirt.

3. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

what type of business do you have?? I do a lot of tree work, and have a stumper on my list of things to buy, but for now I sub it out, or rent. There are a lot of guys a round here with stump grinders....

4. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

it would take years and years for the rest of the stump to decompose

5. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

Was the guy trying to sell u something to remove the stump with?? I have been doing trees and grinding stumps since '98 and i have never seen or heard of that. Stump grinding can be a persons whole business.

6. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

you guys are right. it would take 20 years to decompose the whole thing. depending on size, of course.

crosson, how much money is in stump grinding?

7. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

Depending on the size of the stump and what they want done with in ex: rake it out, remove and replace with dirt and then sod on top.
    But just stump grinding for a small tree you want to get at least 35-40 Pine tree stump 18" accross 85-100 you just about need to make 25 every 15 min you are there.

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Its a bogus statement. It will sink in after the roots decompose but not to sink hole level. :D