1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stump Grinding, pricing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JLL25, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

I live in Illinois, and I'm sure most of you know of the tornadoes that struck Sunday night. Anyhow, I got a few tree jobs in a town thats about 15miles away from where I live and this weekend they want me to come out and grind three stumps. Well, I have to rent the grinder, its a pull behind, and the stumps are 3.5ft, 2ft, and 2.5-3ft. I dont know what to charge. They are all at least one foot tall, should I cut them shorter? I called a local tree service and got a bid for the biggest one, which is 3.5 ft wide at least, and they said between 85-100 dollars. Seems kind of cheap to me. If I do the job what do you all think I should charge for the rental and labor?? Even cost? Extra because I have to tow it? Need advice guys, thanks alot.
  2. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

I dont konow the prices up there, but if you cut them off at ground level and grind them 3 Ft is a 200.00 stump here
  3. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

her we get $100 for up to 1ft 1.1ft-2ft $200 so on and so fort but if its 1.1 its 200 no if ends or buts...
  4. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

Are we talking width or height here?
  5. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

No offense, but I think you are better off not touching this if you have to ask such questions.

Around here people get anywhere in the neighborhood of $5 - $10 per inch in diameter. So you'd be talking about no less than $500. Your rental cost is gonna be at least $150. If you are gonna charge extra because you have to tow the thing... then that's BS. It would be like charging extra for cutting a lawn because you have to move your mowers on a trailer.
  6. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

OH, bullsh*t....I know how to do the labor and run the machine, I just dont know what to charge. I've never done this for myself, therefore never had to charge anyone. Were you born with knowledge of how to charge for certain services or did someone have to coach you along??? And its not the same as moving your mowers on a trailer which you do for every account, its a special job that someone asked me to do because I did the tree work in their yard. I also would'nt charge them for towing, persay. The rental would just be figured somewhat higher than my actual price. Also, how do you have such a large price fluctuation, $5-$10?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

With tree work if you think a job is $500 bucks then double on it and you will probally break even.
  8. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Guys on the low end get $5 per inch, guys on the high end get $10+ per inch.