Stump Grinding Rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NCSULandscaper, Mar 16, 2003.

1. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Whats the going rate for stump grinding? Have a small job where 3 12-14" pine stumps need to be ground.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on the stumps, exposed roots, quantity at one location, accessibility, location of property. I will not go to a house for less than $125.00. :cool:

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Its in an area where i will have to rent a grinder small enough that i can pull by hand, area not big enough and too wet for a towable grinder.

4. paponte

How big are the stumps, and how many? I hope they are not too big, or else you will be there all day with a manual grinder.

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

All day for 3- 12" stumps?

Charge a minimum of $50 per stump and go from there. I had a guy charge me for a stump that I cut a tree down, $75 and it took him 30 minutes. It was a pretty big stump.

If you don't have a stump grinder, get someone else to do it. It aint worth it. Just be sure to get your finder's fee.

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

From what I gather... down your way it would cost $80 or rough about there to grind the three of them. That is (3) 13" stumps at $2 per inch. Are you measuring the trunk flare too, or just the log?

7. paponte

3,-12"-14" stumps with a manual grinder? You better believe you will be there for a while! To get them into the ground good, you are looking at least 3 hours. :D

8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I dunno... if I was you I would just find somebody with a Vermeer 50TX and be done with it. Not enough money for the cost, unless you are going to get a bunch more work lined up. A 252 would get those down below ground level easily within an hour, provided that they are not far apart.

9. menchhofer

menchhofer LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Manual grinder for pine stumps will take a while.

You need to get with someone who has a portable, self propelled grinder instead of a towed model.

$125 for all three sounds about right.

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Really?

The one that he used was similar to the one at the link below. It took him no longer than 30 minutes. I can not see anyone taking all day on 3 small stumps. There is a difference between 3 hrs and all day. I say they would only take a little over an hour. If you are grinding roots, then add an extra hour. But like I said, if you don't own one, then get someone to do it and get your referal fee.

http://www.tracmaster.co.uk/images/Stump/C5002.jpg

Just my .02